NJDuck

Are New NFL Rule changes Coming to College Football? Don't be Surprised...

The current hot topic in the world of sports is the recent rule changes that were passed in the National Football League earlier this week at the NFL owner’s meetings.

It came out earlier this week that the NFL is making two major rule changes starting in 2024: the league is banning the “hip-drop” tackle where a player uses his weight to bring the ball carrier down to the ground by his waste; the NFL is also overhauling the kickoff format, adopting an XFL variation that will completely change the look of things going forward.

Kickers will continue to kick from the 35-yard line, but the other 10 players must line up at the opponent’s 40-yard line. At least nine members of the return team will line up in the “setup zone” between their own 30- and 35-yard lines, and up to two returners will line up in the “landing zone” between the goal line and 20-yard line.

Here’s a diagram to help you visualize the NFL’s new kickoff play:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

How long will it be until college football falls in line with the NFL in terms of kickoff formats and hip-drop tackles?

Bizarre looking kickoffs, but it could create some explosion plays, and it will be fun to watch the progress on this NFL change.

Mr. FishDuck

I hate it. The surprise onside kicks that swung the momentum of games are no longer possible. Oregon probably doesn’t beat Stanford in 2010 without that onside kick as it definitely took the wind out of their sails.

I’m equally sure that the Saints don’t win the Super Bowl in 2010 without their surprise onside kick.  They’re taking one of the biggest situational coaching decisions out of the game.

Maybe they should allow the onside kick when the game is in the balance.  

Safety does matter, but are we serious here?  

Football is becoming more like softball, can't hit people - that is the appeal of the sport.  

As long as a player isn't intentionally trying to hurt another player, let them hit.  

If I want to watch softball, I can watch Oklahoma dominate everyone again.

• Thumbs Up 1