Charles Fischer

Canzano: Oregon State is Holding on With Both Hands

Below is not the full article, but you get the idea. And keep in mind that the Pig-2 are stealing 255 million + over 60 million of this year's conference revenue.  And no amount of stealing is going to change their G5 status...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So why does the aftermath of Oregon State’s run to the women’s NCAA Tournament Elite Eight feel so blasted sobering? 

Talia von Oelhoffen slid into the transfer portal on Tuesday, offering in a written statement: “I will always and forever be a Beav.”

Oregon State is on high alert this week. Insiders expect at least three other Beavers players — and as many as six — could entertain entry into the transfer portal. Also, there’s growing concern that coach Scott Rueck will become the target of a high-profile coaching search in the coming days. 

Tennessee fired coach Kellie Harper. Duke coach Kara Lawson, who played her college ball for the Volunteers, is expected to be among the candidates considered. The worst-case scenario for OSU involves a half dozen scholarship players in the portal and Rueck being introduced as the new coach at Tennessee, Duke, or someplace else.

Oregon State is doing what it can to retain players and keep Rueck in the fold. But reality bites. Ask football coach Jonathan Smith, who stopped at Goodwill to dump his black and orange gear on his way out of Corvallis.

Washington State lost athletic director Pat Chun to Washington. Also, it lost successful men’s basketball coach Kyle Smith to Stanford. A half dozen of Smith’s players promptly jumped into the transfer portal. Oregon State assistant Eric Reveno is set to join Smith’s staff on the farm. It’s a no-brainer move by Reveno, who played at Stanford. 

Also, on Tuesday, OSU guard Jordan Pope did what a lot of us expected. The star guard told a reporter he plans to enter the transfer portal himself. (He has not yet completed the paperwork.) A couple of weeks ago, just a few minutes after the season-ending loss in the conference tournament, Pope told me: “I’m all in for them — for the time being.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, Power-5 talent will leave the Group-of-5 teams; it is the way of the world. And when complete, the remaining player, coaching and administrative talent will be aligned at their proper levels...

I feel so SORRY for the Pig-2!

giphy.gif

Good thing I never said I was noble...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

When the purloined money runs out, it will be even worse. These 2 do not sign 4* and 5* players now. What happens when they stop paying the MW for inventory and join the MW? These were and are as of now two G5 teams that were carried by the rest of the conference they just ripped off. 

Men's CBB coach Tinkle should be gone, but the Beavers can't cover the buyout, and what kind of CBB coach will the Beavers be able to attract?  

• Thumbs Up 1

March Madness was the peak for this fiscal charade, all downhill from here.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1