Charles Fischer

Beaver Fans Now See it...and Add to Their Problems

Beaver fans are now getting it, but still cling to the hope of everyone returning, and yet place no responsibility on their own administrators.  (You know, like Oregon fans are doing with Mullens right now?)  Reading below from their message board started to make me feel sorry for them until I thought of the 30 million being stolen from Oregon Athletics.  Naw!

By divesting their interest?  They speed up the rate of the decline....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Call me a bad fan. Call me a quitter. Call me whatever. I've deleted Twitter the last couple weeks, Facebook, etc. Twitter is where I get 95% of my sports news. I just cannot do it anymore. I can't continue to follow OSU athletics to the same extent I have the last 10 or so years. It hurts too much. It kills me seeing literally all of our athletes programs slowly die."

"I could never fully disconnect. But I've cut my sports consumption down by a good 80%. It's the only way to stop the constant hurt. To any of you who are still as invested as ever, I applaud you. I really do. I just can't do it anymore."

"I know it is extreme but I can understand where he is coming from. From someone who grew up in Corvallis, both parents worked for the university, having graduated from OSU, went to practically every OSU related sporting event since I could walk, it feels like the death of something you truly love".

"No this has nothing to do with men's basketball. I figured most likely everyone would transfer out, Tinkle is a horrible coach. This has everything to do with WBB and now the reality setting in of what's to come for OSU in general these next 2 years. We all had this idea that the wbb team really had a genuine love for OSU, the coaching staff, and Corvallis.

That they would stay together and try to pursue a national title, the pieces were there. Then TVO announces yesterday she is leaving and then the rumors of TG, and Beers leaving and we are back to square one. It feels like if they are leaving and giving up on that then it is really hopeless."

OSU Fan_Kevin Cline.jpg

"Don’t tell other folks how to be a fan. It’s a personal choice. After 25 plus years following every move of the football program, I feel myself disconnecting slowly with all of this…
I’m very interested in how this all shakes out because I think it’s the beginning of the end for college athletics. But am I going to go absolutely bonkers over our two deep, or am I going to cancel other activities to watch every second of our games (which i would do as recently as 2023)…I don’t think so."

"I’ll never quit the Beavs, but I can certainly see how they’ll be less important to me as we move through this next phase of relegation. Each additional piece of bad news and a lack of progress back into relevance is just another paper cut…eventually I’ll bleed it all out. Go Beavs."

"Exactly. I'm planning on paying not much attention to fall camp. (Vs reading every single practice report in prior years). I'll still likely watch every game. But I just have to disconnect myself. It just sucks too much."

"Wait until the transfer portal hits our baseball team this off season as well. Wouldn't surprise me if several key players left for "Greener" pastures or the MLB draft at their earliest. I'm done with any paid sports at this point. Much better use of time and money spent elsewhere. Enjoy life and not this crap! It goes by all too quickly."

After 60 years of living and dying with Beaver basketball, I am finished. I cannot continue to invest that much mental energy or money into something that no longer resembles college basketball in its heyday. It is no longer a community. It is all about the individual, money and attention. I will not attend, I will not watch on tv, and I will not care. If the remainder of the womens basketball players move on and destroy a beautiful thing that they have built, then I will do that same with that team. I am now a baseball and football fan only.... and we shall see about football."

"I used to try to comfort myself by thinking that all of this portal/NIL business was going to kill the golden goose and that fans would quickly be turned off by the whole thing. I have come to realize that, at least for the near future, the only two programs that will be gutted by the system is ours and Wazzu. Look at the numbers, college sports have never been so popular, we are just not going to be part of the discussion going forward. This is about the affiliation, it has little or nothing to do with 'business as usual' transfers out.

The only thing that will save us in the coming years is the recognition that the realignment idea was a bust, and regionalism returns in some form. Short of that, we are slipping away towards mediocrity. My enthusiasm level is slipping away along with it."

Typical Beaver fans KC.jpg

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

If the PAC 2 schools we really wise enough to see what is going on, they would take the windfall from the PAC12 collapse and set it up as an endowment to help fund athletics for decades.

I fear they will squander it trying to make themselves relevant now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve seen quite a few of these Beavis quotes, we must be spying in similar circles! Such a shame.

While they are getting a good windfall over time, the windfall laundry list that I’ve seen is everything they have coming in, it’s not like they are receiving status quo pac-12 income and then adding all the stolen money on top and now have an extra $125m each to blow. They have new and recurring expenses (each MWC game, running the PAC, etc.) and no tv deal to date. No one seems to be mentioning their recent stadium re-do ($45M bonded). Is the projected income from gate and donations meeting expectations the next 10 years when they’re hosting San Jose State instead of USC? They also had a $33M COVID related deficit as of last summer.

I haven’t done the actual complete spreadsheet by any means, this is just my quick take based upon what I’ve seen, but it seems like the plunder is enough to keep them afloat in high-end G5 style for 2 years…I could be wrong though. 😆 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Smartest thing to me?  Put that money into something yielding income to fund their Baseball team to the fullest.  Thus they can continue to compete at a high level at ONE sport...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/5/2024 at 12:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Smartest thing to me?  Put that money into something yielding income to fund their Baseball team to the fullest.  Thus they can continue to compete at a high level at ONE sport...

Absolutely, plenty of G5’s have a contender in a sport or two.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Evidently what we've seen OSU have done in the past, most likely continue in the future is this?  Their administration aren't smart enough to figure it out.

Can we have their WBB team and coaches? With Oregon's resources they might be able to get that national championship. 

We all know Graves won't get it done for the Ducks as this point that's for sure.