Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! Oregon Will Play a 4-1-6 Defense at Times?

If you look at this article, and this article...it is very evident that Oregon will have more talent in the defensive backfield than EVER in my Oregon memory.  And that is considering we are playing five defensive backs with a 4-2-5 defense.  The fifth defensive back is the STAR position, where a linebacker to turned into a rugged corner/nickel to play tough run support, but yet cover a WR as needed.

Then I see Hampton say,...This year's secondary is deep enough and talented enough that Hampton and defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi have both suggested they may play more dime coverage, which incorporates extra defensive backs. "That's kind of the hope," Hampton said of playing dime.  So on the field it would look like a 4-1-6? 

"That way we can utilize these guys' skillsets. We have a bunch of them. We have some really good players. I'm fired up about our corners. The more guys we can get on the field the better, and I think it will help us in pass coverage for sure."

In particular you see the stunning amount of talent in the first article linked above. But I gotta ask...."is a dime defense that right call for the B1G?"  Aren't they a ground-and-pound conference, and proud of it?

This will be interesting to follow...

Tysheem Johnson_Screenshot from GoDucks.com Video.jpg

Tysheem Johnson

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/5/2024 at 12:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In particular you see the stunning amount of talent in the first article linked above. But I gotta ask...."is a dime defense that right call for the B1G?"  Aren't they a ground-and-pound conference, and proud of it?

If that front seven is putting opposing teams on very long third downs. 

Throw out the Dime package and challenge them to try and pass it. 

I don't think anyone anticipates it being used as the base defense but something situational. 

Also remember... USC, Washington, UCLA, Ohio State and Maryland are all in the B1G and all of those schools have relied on a passing attack in recent history. 

And with a 12 team playoff there is no guarantee the Ducks play a run-heavy team and might play a heavy passing offense. So best to have this package in the back pocket. 

• Thumbs Up 1