NJDuck

Oregon Ducks to Hire Arizona State’s Ra’Shaad Samples as New RB Coach

It didn’t take long for Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks to find a new running backs coach after Carlos Locklyn left to join the Ohio State Buckeyes at the start of April.

Sources tell me that the Ducks will officially be hiring Ra’Shaad Samples, the former running backs coach for the Arizona State Sun Devils. The first report came from 247Sports’ Matt Zenitz.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Welcome Ra’Shaad Samples to Eugene, the Oregon Ducks’ new RB coach.

Oregon set to hire Arizona State's Ra'Shaad Samples as running backs coach

Dan Lanning and Oregon no longer have an opening at running backs coach.

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning and Oregon no longer have an opening at running backs coach.

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 things to know about Oregon's new RB coach Ra'Shaad Samples

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Here’s everything Duck fans need to know about new RB coach Ra’Shaad Samples.

Duck fans react to Oregon hiring ASU's Ra'Shaad Samples as new RB coach

While there were rumors starting over the weekend, the official news broke on Sunday afternoon that Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks had made their deal to fill the RB coaching vacancy. 

According to 247Sports’ Matt Zenitz, the Ducks are hiring former Arizona State WR coach Ra’Shaad Samples as their new RB coach. Samples was previously the youngest RB coach in NFL history, spending a year with the Los Angeles Rams before joining Kenny Dillingham’s staff with the Sun Devils. 

Samples is a former player who is regarded as one of the best recruiters in the nation at the young age of 29. 

As you would expect, Oregon fans were excited with the move when it was reported on Sunday afternoon. Here are some of the top reactions on social media.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It feels safe to say that Oregon fans approve of the Ra’Shaad Samples hire.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

😤 In Your Face Ohio St.!!  Quack Quack! 🦆

Edited by NJDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Probably better recruiter and has a good track record so far. 

Could also be Oregon's future OC if Stein opts to leave for a head coaching job soon. 

Overall, very good hire. 

Looks like, sounds like, another terrific hire by coach Lanning. 

"Every opportunity is a chance to improve".

Great recruiter. Personal. Great teacher of the game. A perfect Lanning coach!

Sco Ducks!!

The curious part of me wonders why he 'chose' to be a passing game coordinator at a losing college over his Los Angeles Rams running back coach position.  Hmmm.

My question aside, he certainly can recruit.  I guess that's why DL wanted him.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:53 PM, Mudslide said:

The curious part of me wonders why he 'chose' to be a passing game coordinator at a losing college over his Los Angeles Rams running back coach position.  Hmmm.

Chance to get into the college game. 

And passing game coordinator is a step up from a RB coach if your desire is to be an OC or HC some day. 

My guess is that it is a bit of both. 

Though I will say this... ASU may have been one of the worst teams in the PAC last year but their offense was at times darn creative. They did some crazy stuff on a regular basis that allowed them to punch above their talent. 

Part of that is Dilly... But I'm sure Samples had some ideas in there too. Don't forget probably the most dangerous passer on ASU's roster last year for big plays was probably their runningback. 

• Like 1

You make a good point, David.  Samples is likely on a standard trajectory to be a head coach.  I don't know his salary with the Rams, but he was hauling in a cool half-mil at ASU.  Locklyn was at a 'pedestrian' $400,000.  (I think most of us got into the wrong line of work.  😮)  

I don't deny that Samples is an elite recruiter which seems a very important skill to possess for DL.  I was just pulling for another young coach (Isaac) that has some chops, as well.

Samples will also have the title of Asst Head Coach thus giving DL the opportunity to pay him more than Locklyn so this is not a lateral.move for Samples.

Something to consider,  if Stein continues to have success he will get an HC job.  That could open the door for Samples to become the OC.

Lots of possibilities but I think shows how Dan thinks which is always what's next.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:23 AM, Augduck said:

Samples will also have the title of Asst Head Coach thus giving DL the opportunity to pay him more than Locklyn so this is not a lateral.move for Samples.

Something to consider,  if Stein continues to have success he will get an HC job.  That could open the door for Samples to become the OC.

Lots of possibilities but I think shows how Dan thinks which is always what's next.

And I'm sure that Samples' Texas recruiting pipeline intrigued DL mightily.  But for certain, DL would not hire him if Samples didn't have aspirations to improve himself and in his career.  Desire for personal growth seems a very important attribute for DL.  

On 4/8/2024 at 8:23 AM, Augduck said:

I mostly agree with that except on one point.  I surmise that if Stein moves on in the next couple years, Junior Adams would be the logical choice to bump up to OC.  Samples would then could move into Adams spot as WR coach/passing game coordinator (same titles he had at ASU) plus retain the assistant HC title as the next step in his career.

• Like 1

How the Ra'Shaad Samples hire impacts Oregon in 2024 and beyond

Oregon is set to hire Arizona State's Ra'Shaad Samlples to fill its running back coach vacancy. Here's a rundown of how his addition impacts the Ducks in 2024.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon is set to hire Arizona State's Ra'Shaad Samlples to fill its running back coach vacancy. Here's a rundown of how his addition impacts the Ducks in 2024.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's new running backs coach is 29, confident and 'will be the youngest head coach in college football someday.  

Carlos Locklyn is out. In is Ra'Shaad Samples, a 29-year-old who learned he could do this a long, long time ago.

WWW.I-5CORRIDOR.COM

Carlos Locklyn is out. In is Ra'Shaad Samples, a 29-year-old who learned he could do this a long, long time ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1