NJDuck

2024 BIG Info, Predictions, Etc.

From now on, except for a very few circumstances, our threads will be just one page. Advertising only appears on the first page and we want to make as much money as possible for the site. 

The bonus in doing this is that it will be easier for everyone to move around the thread.

This thread will be continuous, but as we reach the page limit will start a new post.  Click Right Here to go to the older post to read past articles.

Way-too-early 12-team College Football Playoff projections

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who makes the first 12-team College Football Playoff? Here’s our early prediction.

Which college football programs NEED to win a national title soon?

WWW.ON3.COM

The following programs need to win a national title soon: Ohio State, Texas, Penn State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas A&M, Tennessee

New rules coming. Sideline to helmet communication and for some reason I can't fathom, a 2 minute warning.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The NCAA approved several NFL-style rule changes on Friday to be implemented for the 2024 college football season.

On 4/18/2024 at 2:40 PM, NJDuck said:

Way-too-early 12-team College Football Playoff projections

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who makes the first 12-team College Football Playoff? Here’s our early prediction.

Laughing Out Loud again over another far-out Zach Neel take.

4 SEC teams, 2 ACC, B1G, and B12, an independent and a G5 school that for the second year running does not play a Power opponent. The B1G will place 3 and possibly 4 teams in the playoff field. Based on the preseason rankings I don't see the B12 in particular with the SOS as a conference placing 2 teams in the field.

Georgia and Ole Miss play one another. I don't see Ole Miss with fewer than 3 losses, including a loss at LSU. Texas? I'm not certain why Texas is getting all of the preseason love. 3 WRs who will be drafted in the 1st 2 rounds and 2 excellent RBs are gone as well as the interior of the Texas D line. Ewers is back at QB but the close wins in the B12 in 2023 will be losses in the SEC in 2024. 

Bama will still have a deep blue Blue Chip Roster but Saint Nick is no longer driving the sleigh. Bama plays UGA which I think will be a loss even in Tuscaloosa. I think Mizzou is overrated but a home game against Mizzou will not be a lay-up. And road games vs. Tennessee, LSU, Oklahoma, and, don't laugh, Wisconsin will be challenging. Based on the 2024 SOS and notwithstanding a road game in Tuscaloosa, Mizzuo has a 10-2 schedule that could get it in the playoff.

I think that Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State, and USC will finish 10-2 or better, and Michigan playing Texas, USC, and Oregon in Ann Arbor also has a shot at 10-2 as does Iowa. The Hawkeyes will lose the game in Columbus but draw UW in Iowa City, play at UCLA, and miss Oregon, USC, Michigan, and Penn State. Iowa is on the road for 5 conference games but has 7 home games in all. 

In fairness to Zach, his stab in the Playoff's dark is as good as anyone's, including mine.   

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The spring transfer window is officially open, and every Big Ten program is expected to be active in acquiring talent.

9 AM start for Left Coasters. Set the alarm clock, you do not want to miss this one. Longhorns on the road are -3.5.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Michigan vs. Texas will be one of the elite early-season matchups in the 2024 season.

Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State made this list.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

These are the defenses that will shape the College Football Playoff in 2024.

Noon start Pacific on Pac-12 LA.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

USC has plenty of questions to answer this spring after going 8-5 in 2023.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

"We’re each other’s biggest hype men," said junior QB Alex Orji. "The thing about this QB battle is we all thrive off competition."

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Nothing goes smoothly for quarterback Miller Moss in USC's spring game, but Lincoln Riley didn't see his offense struggling as much as his defense excelling.

5 thoughts on B1G member and 2024 opponent Michigan's spring game.

THEATHLETIC.COM

On a day when Michigan's 2023 team received national championship rings, the 2024 team showed there could still be bumps to come.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Quarterbacks took center stage as USC's looked lackuster, while Arch Manning stole the show

Interesting that the last 2 spring games commented on, Notre Dame and Texas A+M open the 2024 season with the Domers visiting the Aggies. I think that with Jimbo out of the way A+M HC Mike Elko will do a far better job of having good players on a deep Blue Chip roster ready to play. Elko was the DC at A+M before taking the head coaching job at Duke.

Notre Dame is considered to be a serious playoff contender and with the schedule, Domers fans will be disappointed if a team without having to play a 13th champ game, and with Louisville and FSU visiting South Bend, does not make the 12-team field. The final game of the season for ND, on the road vs. USC, could be critical for both teams' chances of making the playoffs. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Spring Football Games: Thoughts on Texas, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame and More

It was a huge day for spring football games with Arch Manning stealing the day at Texas. That, and quick thoughts on 17 of the biggest Saturday scrimmages.

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/spring-football-games-quick-thoughts-on-texas-michigan-usc-oklahoma-notre-dame-fsu-arch-manning

Three CFB powers that had letdown performances by their starting quarterback

usatsi_22180568.webp

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/three-cfb-powers-that-had-letdown-performances-by-their-starting-quarterback#gid=ci02db73dfd00025d2&pid=miller-moss-usc

Moss did not gather plaudits. 

College football rankings: Updated post-spring top 25 poll for 2024 season

Polarizing college football rankings coming out of spring practice..

247SPORTS.COM

Polarizing college football rankings coming out of spring practice...

Too late to save the Pac-12 Network and possibly the Pac-12 but the Heisman Trust finally ignored the NCAA, did the right thing, and gave his Heisman Trophy back to Reggie.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The Heisman Trust is returning the Heisman Trophy to Reggie Bush and a replica to USC after the former running back had forfeited the award in 2010.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 4/24/2024 at 9:59 AM, NJDuck said:

College football rankings: Updated post-spring top 25 poll for 2024 season

Polarizing college football rankings coming out of spring practice..

247SPORTS.COM

Polarizing college football rankings coming out of spring practice...

Only 8 SEC teams in the top 15? The conference only plays 8 conference games but the top-ranked teams occasionally play one another.   I think Texas and Bama are overrated. With an easy OOC and conference schedule Mizzou will likely be in the playoff field.

Based on the schedule, Ohio State should get the nod over UGA. Penn State defeats W VA in Week 1 and it should finish no worse than 10-2. Michigan at No. 7 with Texas, Oregon, USC, and a game at UW on the schedule and with a total rebuild on O? Oregon has an unfavorable schedule that could hold the Ducks back. I think USC is underrated. The SC D in the spring looked more improved than the LSU D.

October 12, 2024, will not just be B1G, it will be HUGE!

Jabbar Muhammad out to prove he's one of the country's best during one season at Oregon

Oregon landed Jabbar Muhammad, a Washington transfer, from the portal in January. Now with the Ducks, the senior outlined what he hopes to achieve this year

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon landed Jabbar Muhammad, a Washington transfer, from the portal in January. Now with the Ducks, the senior outlined...

Ohio State vs Oregon Will Be the College Football Game of the Year

TWSN.NET

On Saturday, October 12, 2024, the Ohio State Buckeyes will travel to Eugene to take on the Oregon Ducks in the two teams first matchup since 2021 where the Ducks came into Columbus and stunned the…

• Cool 1

Good thoughts on the Oregon and a few other B1G spring games.

WWW.ESPN.COM

From Oregon's new QB to more Colorado roster turnover, breaking down the biggest storylines from teams in action Saturday.

I'd Sooner see Dillon in an Oregon jersey but what the heck. 

Lots of love for Nebraska QB Dylan Rialo. However, 'It's NOT a league game, Smoke.'

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/dylan-raiola-nebraska-spring-game-stuns-college-football-fans

Not B1G but of interest to OBD members, I think.  RB Martinez as I expected has joined the Mari(o) crew.

Will Pac-2 transfers at QB and at RB lead the way into the 12-team playoff field? I wouldn't bet on it.

https://athlonsports.com/college/miami-hurricanes/inside-hurricanes/football/four-ways-former-oregon-state-beavers-running-back-helps-the-miami-hurricanes-

The B1G's Saturday Tradition site like the B1g Ten Network is including the new West Coast member teams in its coverage of the B1G.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The Big Ten produced a strong group of first-round picks. Here's how much those players are set to make in the NFL.

WWW.SI.COM

The Oregon Ducks football team has one of the best odds in college football to win the National Championship.

After the Spring game, Ducks have the 4th best odds for a national championship according to FanDuel.

• Applause 1

Wow,

I look forward to digesting these "scrimmages" when I have the time.

My quick thoughts are as follows:

Michigan is underrated (sorry Jon- I think that defense is better than advertised, and HC Moore is another very good coach following Jim Harbaugh - as in David Shaw good).

Ohio State has the best defense in the country.  Same issue on offense till further notice: OL and QB question marks (not sure they're elite enough at those positions). 

I also believe Bama beats UGA (sorry Duck-Dawg fans, but Bama is still more talented overall, and DeBoer didn't show how lethal that offense is going to be - my opinion of course). 

Haven't seen Texas, but "my sources" tell me they will be more formidable on defense than people think.  

Haven't seen Nebraska, but same thing ("my sources") , except the offense is going to win them plenty of "toss up" games.  

I'll check both out this summer and give my update. 

Haven't seen Mizzou yet.  I'm intrigued though.  Not sure they have enough depth and talent In the Box. They sure have very good talent at the skill positions though.  

I believe Tennessee is one very good QB from surprising people this year.  Time will tell. 

Ole Miss is trying to hide their talent.  I'll have to wait till fall to assess them.  On paper, they are very dangerous.  But paper is mighty thin isn't it?

LSU still needs a defense , but they are going to spoil some teams this year.  

Georgia? Same as it ever was.  But that loss to Bama tells me good coaching, and mistake free football is all you need to hang with them, and maybe steal a W. 

Auburn is also going to spoil somebody's season, including maybe Bama.  

Penn State losing last year's main WR target is a major blow to their title hopes (bad career move for him though- he would have gotten better looks with that new former Buckeye WR joining the mix).  

Utah...If they can step up their usually decent Defense, they are playoff bound.  They don't have enough talent to challenge the Blue Bloods though.  

USC?  I don't think they have enough talent on defense.  Nice QB, but he'll have to win games for them.  Not sure he's that talented. Not sure they're mentally tough enough either.

Clemson has a good enough defense to stall the Blue Bloods, but that offense can't score enough.  Think Georgia before Kirby Smart. 

FSU comes back to the regular pack, despite a damn good HC. 

No, Miami isn't joining the club. 

Need to see A&M.  I really like HC Elko.  He may be playing possum right now.  He's said it's taking him longer than expected to get the chaos in order.  Possible smoke screen to also hide his talent?  

The SEC is still too deep for the BiG, but Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin are only a good enough QB away from adding major depth to the conference. 

OBD...

Man.  I suspected HC Lanning knew his DL was stacked.  Now we know.  This team is in play for a deep playoff run.  Now, it's up to learning how to make teams beat them by playing mistake free ball.

If DC Lupoi and OC Stein "up" their game and adjust on each drive of each game, oooh- they could really step into a title game and make some noise. Big "if" at this point.  

I see a lot of Bama versus Michigan type games this year.  It truly is going to be one of the best regular seasons in the history of College Football.  And I'm.not blowing smoke here.  

Every elite team, has an Achilles Heel.  Some teams on the bubble have enough talent to hit that bullseye and walk away with an upset.  Coaching has never been more important. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 4/28/2024 at 2:51 PM, Mike West said:

Wow,

I look forward to digesting these "scrimmages" when I have the time.

My quick thoughts are as follows:

Mike, always great to get your thoughts.

Michigan - I think the D especially the DL, will be terrific. But the offense? I expect Moore to continue with the approach of playing great D and running the ball. The OL is a complete rebuild. Orji and Warren both looked OK at QB but I do not believe either guy can win games throwing the ball. And compared to 2023, the schedule OCC and in-conference ramps up in 2024. I think 9-3 is this season's high-water mark for the Wolverines.

Ohio State - Agree with you, the Buckeyes D will be awesome. Only 4 Ohio State guys were picked in the draft. Why? Because Harrison was the only highly touted draft-eligible player to say goodbye to Columbus. 9 players return for a Buckeyes D that was terrific last season and with the addition of Caleb Downs from Bama, will be better this season; especially, with the easiest schedule among B1G title contenders. Ohio State is a lock to be undefeated when the team visits Autzen on 10/12.

MIZZOU - The 16th out of 16 teams easiest schedule in the SEC. Will Mizzou go 10-2 and make the Playoff or 9-3 and be on the cusp? QB and one of the best WR's back but the D was hit hard by the draft and the DC leaving for LSU.

Auburn - With Michigan State transfer Thorne the presumed starter at QB I do not see a lot of room for improvement. Surprising that Freeze has not been able to upgrade the position. 

Texas - I need to see it before I believe the Longhorns lofty preseason ranking. Texas lost a lot of studs to the NFL. Will 2023's close wins in the B12 be wins in the SEC? I think Georgia will defeat Texas in Austin and also defeat Alabama without Saint Nick whom Kirby defeated once in 5 tries, on the sideline.

Let's Get It On!

On 4/28/2024 at 11:51 AM, Mike West said:

It truly is going to be one of the best regular seasons in the history of College Football. 

Completely agree.  Between NIL keeping good players around, and the portal allowing the rich to get richer....we will have epic football games to watch nearly every Saturday this fall.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Is better recruiting Bruin in Westwood? Can't get any worse, can it?

THEATHLETIC.COM

Foster is introducing a more traditional method of building a roster by putting an emphasis on recruiting high school prospects.

A few reasons why the CFB Playoff will be re-formatted come 2026.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

There is cause for excitement around the new playoff format. There's also lots of complaints and criticism to go around.

• Yikes! 1

Wow Jon, thanks for posting that.  Those issues, in particular, rematches, pretty much assure that the field has to grow to 16.

Do you favor more in the playoff?  I do, to 16...

No rematches; I've seen enough

of Beavis...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck