Charles Fischer

Dan Lanning: "What They Do Screams So Loud...I Can’t Hear What They Say."

John Canzano is still writing great articles about Oregon, as he has inside access and gives us a ton of information.  With that...it is apparent his Bastard Beaver audience is so large that he cannot lose them and focus on the Ducks only.  Thus why he publicly acknowledges that Oregon did the fiduciary right thing with going to the B1G, but loves to play OSU as a victim to that pathetic audience, who eat it up.

John isn't going to change, and it is a smart strategy for him.  I just delete anything he writes about the Bastard Beavers before I even read it.

That said, he had some nuggets in todays' article about Our Beloved Ducks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lanning said he saw U2 perform in Las Vegas at the Sphere and we traded family movie recommendations, but I was mostly struck by how grounded, comfortable, and settled Oregon’s coach sounds right now.

On recruiting good people who can also play well:

“What they do screams so loud I can’t hear what they say. You really get a feel for that when you get around players you’re recruiting. What are they like with the school counselor? What are they like with their family? How do they treat their mom? All those things kind of stick out to us. Not every single guy that we sign on our team is going to be a Boy Scout, but you look for guys who are going to be a great fit for the culture we’re trying to build.”

On whether he’s backed away from a player based on the way he treated his mom:

“Absolutely, yeah. I think you back away from people based on how they treat people. That’s part of the art of this. There’s a lot of people who are really talented football players.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't care for Jon's suck-up strategy to Bastard Beavers, (he never mentions the 30 million being stolen from each of Pac-12 teams leaving) but he does have further insight into our coach and our team.  I will hold my nose, read, and pass along on occasion.

Dan Lanning_Nancy Paiva.jpg

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Have to agree Mr. FishDuck.   

Dan also seems to be very astute in his conversations with John.   He knows exactly what to give him and does a good job of making John feel like he is really good buddies with him and John eats that up. 

Let's just say I think Dan has John pretty well figured out and he uses it to his advantage.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, Augduck said:

Let's just say I think Dan has John pretty well figured out and he uses it to his advantage.

Great point, as it is a great way to get the message out about how he operates, his values--through these interviews.

While John has been critical of Dan as we have at times, (Take the damn points, or he hasn't won the big one yet) he is generally favorable in his writings about Lanning and the Ducks.  I think part of that is the affability that Dan has, and while we cannot help but like Dan...the same is true of John's feelings about Lanning.

Consider how different that is compared to the confrontational times between Chip and John, or even Cristobal and John.  Neither figured out what Lanning has, and this goes to show again that Dan is wise beyond his years.

Dan Lanning_Jerry Thompson.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Mario was never able to talk about anything other than football for fear he would not be the smartest man in the room.  Dan does not have that fear hence his conversations with John are more free flowing and Dan gives you a glimpse into his life away from football.  

Dan is approachable.   Mario was not (in any way) and I say that from having interacted with both (not extensively in any manner but a bit personally) and had the opportunity to observe both of them in social settings and suffice it to say it was night and day difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mullens should awake every morning and thank his lucky stars that Miami way overpaid to get Mario to leave town and that Justin Wilcox said, "No." 

Canzano tells it like his wallet so requires. It's double speak when it comes to the Pac-2 and he knows it. It is fun to poke the Beavers in the Canzano comment section. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. Fishduck, you're a better man than I.

I have unsuscribed from Canzano. Can't take the nonsense.

But I appreciate you passing on the few decent tidbits. 

I think what sets coach Lanning apart is that he genuinely cares about people, even journalists, so called( though I think he just tolerates Crepea).

He certainly knows how to set a table..

..now we just got to run the course.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:08 PM, DanLduck said:

Mr. FishDuck, you're a better man than I.

Not true.  Besides, it is a low bar with me!

Charles...are you NOBLE?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck