NJDuck

Group of Five Playoff being Pitched by Derek Dooley, Financially Backed by Private Equity Firms

The ex-Tennessee coach's proposal is an attempt to offset the financial setback under the new CFP media rights deal

"You've got presidents and chancellors [from the Group of Five] now saying, 'Why would [we sit] around waiting for the inevitable, which is a total break [by the SEC and Big Ten]?'" one Group of Five administrator familiar with Dooley's proposal told CBS Sports. "We better start doing some things."

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The ex-Tennessee coach's proposal is an attempt to offset the financial setback under the new CFP media rights deal

Finally. No point in have 130 teams in a single division where 100 of the teams have no chance to ever win it all

Power X should be D1, G of X D2, FCS D3, D3 should be D4.

Each division level is defined by their own playoff/bowl structure and pay to play arrangement.

The only thing we should be debating is who is in which D level.

Let's get the easy decisions worked out then the harder stuff is a little easier to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 1

FLYWAREAGLE.COM

The SEC and Big Ten splitting from the NCAA has Group of Five schools aiming to form a second College Football Playoff for the NCAA Division I FBS' lower tier;

IMO, a split from the G5 and the ACC and B12 while not 'inevitable' is likely, at least for football. I do think a central body of some sort, NCAA or otherwise, will continue to manage post-season championships with the majority of the post-season open to schools outside of the Power 2 conferences. Why would anyone want to alter March Madness and the money it brings in?

Football produces 80% of athletic department revenue. ESPN and Fox are paying large sums of money to conferences for football inventory. Football leaving will of course affect all other sports in some fashion. 

I have believed from the start that the G5 should have its own playoff. In the next 2 seasons, I expect that the 12-seed G5 team will be blown out on the road playing the 5-seed. A lot like what we saw last season in the Fiesta Bowl.

Thanks for the post.

More power to any conference that can sell their content and generate media revenue. Media companies pay for content as long as it is profitable to them. 

If you can sell your playoff idea, great. However, there are a lot of moving parts that need to be agreed upon.

Ratings, ultimately decide if your content is valuable. 

On 4/24/2024 at 7:58 AM, Solar said:

Finally. No point in have 130 teams in a single division where 100 of the teams have no chance to ever win it all

30 viable winners I feel is too high these days. 

15-20 teams tops are viable contenders. 

In any given year that number is closer to 3. 2023 was an exception of viable teams at around 8. 

• Thumbs Up 1

FLYWAREAGLE.COM

The SEC and Big Ten splitting from the NCAA has Group of Five schools aiming to form a second College Football Playoff for the NCAA Division I FBS' lower tier;

IMO, a split from the G5 and the ACC and B12 while not 'inevitable' is likely, at least for football. I do think a central body of some sort, NCAA or otherwise, will continue to manage post-season championships with the majority of the post-season open to schools outside of the Power 2 conferences. Why would anyone want to alter March Madness and the money it brings in?

Football produces 80% of athletic department revenue. ESPN and Fox are paying large sums of money to conferences for football inventory. Football leaving will of course affect all other sports in some fashion. 

I have believed from the start that the G5 should have its own playoff. In the next 2 seasons, I expect that the 12-seed G5 team will be blown out on the road playing the 5-seed. A lot like what we saw last season in the Fiesta Bowl.

Thanks for the post.

On 4/24/2024 at 10:27 AM, David Marsh said:

30 viable winners I feel is too high these days. 

15-20 teams tops are viable contenders. 

In any given year that number is closer to 3. 2023 was an exception of viable teams at around 8. 

A change of circumstances with an enlarged playoff, and pay for play will help level the playing field. As an example, 2023 was not an exception, it is the new reality with the Transfer portal and NIL circumstances affecting team ceilings.

Greg Sankey's response? YAWN.

FLYWAREAGLE.COM

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey didn't sound all too convinced that the proposed 80-team college football super league that's been floating around in the past few

Change Saney to Petitti and the response is, as it should be, the same.

I’m confused what this even means. Unless the “investors” own TV stations, what is the ”investment”? Why would I invest in this, what’s the return? Does a pot of gold reward make people interested in watching San Jose State play Bowling Green?

I’m certain there will be a new division and a separate playoff eventually, but to me this is just posturing.

Elements of this really remind me of Beavis and the great bean counting victory. You just got a bunch of money…and you still don’t interest anyone.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

An update on the recent meeting of the playoff poohbahs. No consensus on what the format will look like in 2026.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The CFP management committee failed to advance on key details, however

The 2026 format will likely be less collegial than deciding on how the Army vs Navy game (both now members of the AAC) will be dealt with. There is confirmation that come 2026 there will be no representative from the Pac-12 (2.)

The major issue, how the money will flow come 2026, has already been decided in favor of the B1G and the SEC. The B1G and the SEC will dictate how the structure of the PO format come 2026.

This is likely a sign that there is too much uncertainty about the future to make any decisions yet. IE let's wait for the ACC to implode, G5 to form a separate division, and a few other pieces like Notre Dame to fall into places first.