Charles Fischer

DL Johnny Bowens Enters Transfer Portal

When a great player is recruited, nobody has any idea if he will be in the top group at his position or not.  Bowens is a redshirt freshman, and could probably see too many people at his position, some of which may have moved ahead of him already. And then we have the true freshmen DL coming in...

Whoever is at the bottom of a depth chart--will transfer.  It is something I have to get used to still, but it is the reality when so many are being recruited.

Mr. FishDuck

We are over our scholarship limit. Word on the street is that some will be voluntold to leave. Could be the case here.

Which makes this a possible sign that we are going to pick up a DL in the spring portal.

Makes sense... He has all the physical tools to play a major role somewhere... But just not at Oregon right now. 

Another example of why I don’t learn names, each year, until the portal is done.

Interesting dynamic compared to say, the NBA. I specifically have been watching the NBA playoffs based on players playing, couldn’t care less about specific teams with the Blazers being a non-factor. Personality driven versus nameless/faceless all about the name on the front…until May at least.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Better to hop in the portal now before the Spring game reveals how far down the depth chart you are.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:52 AM, Solar said:

We are over our scholarship limit.

Yep.  The numbers dictate that he is just the first of several that will have to go.  The only way around it would be if a bunch of players are willing to give up their scholarships for NIL money.  I really hope schools don't start overly abusing that loophole as a way to circumvent the scholarship limits, however. Having some sort of limits that maintain some semblance of competitive balance is a good thing.