Chuc007

Track and Field Update

Both the men and women, particularly the women appear to be on target for a major upgrade this spring. I have a problem though. I can't tell how good they really are because of all the acronyms involved in following the Duck site ie pb (personal best, lifetime best, top ten Oregon top ten, NCAA leading, this years best.

What did I miss? Tell me Where we stand in the Pac12, BIG, I hate that acronym, NCAA . etcetera, etcetera Olympic qualifying

On 5/4/2024 at 2:07 AM, Chuc007 said:

Both the men and women, particularly the women appear to be on target for a major upgrade this spring. I have a problem though. I can't tell how good they really are because of all the acronyms involved in following the Duck site ie pb (personal best, lifetime best, top ten Oregon top ten, NCAA leading, this years best.

What did I miss? Tell me Where we stand in the Pac12, BIG, I hate that acronym, NCAA . etcetera, etcetera Olympic qualifying

As you undoubtedly know by now, the women did a great job in Boulder and edged USC for the team title and while the men didn't fare as well, Elliot Cook ran an outstanding double to win both the 800m and 1500m.  What made this an especially difficult feat is that Cook had to run prelims in both races and, of course, the finals.  All in a span of four days!

Moving on to this year's NCAAs in Eugene, at this point the women are projected to finish 4th, a distant 10 points from a 3rd place podium finish.  The regionals will be held this weekend in Fayetteville (West) and Lexington, KY (East).  The regionals often shake up projections, and one major stumble could move the Ducks closer to 3rd OR further back in the pack.

On the men's side, things look pretty awful this year.  In fact, the men are projected to score ZERO at NCAAs.  However, Cook's great performance at altitude means his marks were nothing close to sea level marks and I think his gutty performance in Boulder just might translate into a few NCAA points.  Cook's focus for NCAAs is the 800m.  He'll run a prelim on 5/22 and, hopefully, a final on 5/24 (in NCAA parlance it's a quarterfinal, since the semis and finals will occur in Eugene).  12 men in each region will advance to the semi-finals in Eugene.  

Edited by Bruce3404
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2