Charles Fischer

Whoa! A Championship Coach Being "Left Behind"

No, I am not talking about Lincoln Riley.  But below is astounding...where would Oregon be without the portal?

Mr. FishDuck

Dabo is on his way out and probably by his own choice at some point soon. 

As I mentioned in the forum post from my article today there are really three models of recruiting right now. 

Prep focus - this is what Georgia is doing with lots of success because they pull in top 2 classes yearly. They give some to the portal but that's mostly to make room for new additions. Georgia does use the portal but very sparingly. 

Transfer Portal focus - this is Colorado as an extreme and Ole Miss as a bit less extreme. Get talent from the portal as the main source. So far it has been a complete mess for Colorado and we'll see how it pays off for Ole Miss this year. 

The middle way - almost every team is doing a bit of both. Oregon is doing it perhaps the best. 

Dabo and Clemson hate the portal and have opted to ignore it. Their problem is that they don't recruit top 3 classes. And it takes top 3 classes stacked to be able to ignore the portal. I don't see Dabo being around much longer with his contempt of what college football is today. Gotta play the game that's in front of you and the portal is part of the game like it or not. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 5/7/2024 at 11:09 PM, David Marsh said:

Gotta play the game that's in front of you and the portal is part of the game like it or not. 

Well said. Adapt or die.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder why Dabo is so anti-portal...his high school recruiting classes are always in the top 10 (Rivals) so maybe he thinks that's good enough to develop his talent pool via the traditional method.  That being said, his competitors are using the portal to fill in holes (like DL) and passing him by.  Some people are just stubborn I guess.

4 CFB teams did not sign an incoming transfer in 2023/24 - Air Force, Army, Navy, and Clemson. 

However, I would not count these Tigers out of the 2024-25 playoff. The opening game vs. Georgia in Atlanta (been there, done that, happy to get out alive) is as tough as it gets. But there is no Notre Dame on the schedule, and the games vs. NC State, Louisville, and South Carolina will be played in Clemson's version of Death Valley. (Strangely, Stanford will visit Clemson to play a conference game.) There is no per the pundits improved U on the schedule. 

The game at Florida State on 10/5/24 will be Clemson's on paper, toughest conference game of the season. FSU QB DGU is well known to Dabo and his assistant coaches. FSU has done well in the portal, but many of the guys on the team that went 13-1 in 2023 are gone. 

Clemson's D will again be salty. Will Lincoln Riley's younger brother help the offense improve in 2024 after being points-deficient under Riley in 2023? In its bowl game, Clemson put up 38 points in its comeback win against Kentucky. But the O still looked rocky in the Clemson spring game.

I think Clemson has a decent chance to win the ACC in 2024. If Clemson finishes 10-2/10-3 it will be in the playoff hunt. Two games vs the SEC and going a likely 1-1, should give Clemson a scheduling bump. (If the committee cares or notices.)

Dabo will leave Clemson on his terms. I do not see this happening any time soon.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1