NJDuck

Oregon Football's New Big Ten Conference Opponents: Rich History, Distance

Oregon Football fans will need to learn about more than a dozen new programs as the Ducks join the Big Ten Conference this year. From the history of the league to how far away each school is, take a look at the first in a series of stories breaking down Oregon Football's new opponents.

WWW.SI.COM

When Oregon announced it would be leaving the Pac-12 Conference for the Big Ten in August, the Ducks still had an entire season to play out. That season resulte

They got home and away games mixed up for the 2024 season. Don't know if other year's games are correct. 

• Mic drop 1

Fun fact. I have a coworker who is from Michigan and B1G country. 

He was saying that as the University of Chicago was a founding member and left they could return if they wanted to and bump the member school that replaced them from the conference. That member school is Michigan State. 

It would be funny ... But Michigan State would get a speedy invite "back" to the B1G if that were to happen. 

Oregon Football's New Big Ten Conference Opponents: Michigan, Part 1

Michigan has been playing football since 1879, with a rich history that includes national championships, Heisman Trophy winners, and legendary coaches. The Wolverines are among the programs Oregon is joining in the Big Ten Conference.

“In times of difficulty, those brave enough to stay the course will be victors in the end.”

- Bo Schembechler, Michigan coach 1969-89

WWW.SI.COM

Michigan has been playing football since 1879, with a rich history that includes national championships, Heisman Trophy winners, and legendary coaches.

Michigan State joined the B1G in 1949. 

U Chicago left the B1G in 1946 because the game was becoming too professionalized! In 1898 Michigan defeated U Chicago and became 'The Victors' and the 'Champions of the West' in Michigan's iconic fight song. 

The Big House opened on October 1, 1927. In the 765 games played in the stadium since opening, Michigan has drawn 49,087,344 fans. Record attendance - 115,109 - 9/7/2013 - 41-30 night-game victory vs Notre Dame. I am blessed to have seen two games vs Notre Dame, Prime Time vs Elvis (Grbac,) and the Kordell Stewart Hail Mary pass in the Big House. 

Wolverines in history. On July 3, 1863, the last day of The Battle of Gettysburg, Brigadier General George Custer, led the 7th Michigan in a cavalry charge against JEB Stewart's Confederate cavalry. The Confederate cavalry was attempting to circle the Union's right flank. It took two charges by Custer's troops to turn back the Confederates. Had the Confederate cavalry turned the Union flank, Pickett's Charge may have succeeded, with the Civil War having a different conclusion.  

In the first charge, Custer, four lengths ahead of his troops turned and shouted out: "Come On You Wolverines!" Both George Custer and his brother Tom were awarded the Medal of Honor for their service in the Civil War.

In 1803, residents of Ohio and Michigan fought a border war over the then-town of Toledo, the home of MASH's Corporal Klinger and the Detroit Tigers minor league Toledo Mudhens team. Ohioans called Michigander troops, 'Wolverines'. It was an insult as the Wolverine was considered to be a glutinous, tempestuous creature. Michigan lost Toledo but adopted the Wolverine as the state animal. 

In 1927, the Detroit Zoo acquired two Wolverines from the Alaska Territory, Benny and Biff. Bennie and Biff were paraded in a cage around the Big House field in 1927. The ferocious animals were so unruly and aggressive toward the handlers that it was a one-season gig. 

A 'Heisman House' advertisement explains why Michigan does not have a live mascot. The Wolverine putatively brought to the Heisman House leaves the battered Michigan great, Charles Woodson, in its wake. 

The B1G Saturday site is rightfully referred to as 'Saturday Tradition.' Lots of B1G traditions and fun are on the way.

• Cool 1
  • Wow 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:39 PM, DanLduck said:

They got home and away games mixed up for the 2024 season. Don't know if other year's games are correct. 

2024 is correct. Home - Michigan State, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio State, UW as well as the away games, spot on.

2025 is correct. Except for the duplicate listing of at Northwestern on future schedules, I believe that all the schedules shown are correct. 

On 5/18/2024 at 11:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

2024 is correct. Home - Michigan State, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio State, UW as well as the away games, spot on.

2025 is correct. Except for the duplicate listing of at Northwestern on future schedules, I believe that all the schedules shown are correct. 

The site corrected itself. It had the schedule reversed at first. Good for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon Football's New Big Ten Conference Opponents: Indiana, Part 1

Indiana football does not have a glitzy history, but they are one of the programs that has been with the Big Ten Conference since the beginning, a league the Oregon Ducks join this year.

"You’ll see Indiana win some football games in the next few years, or they’ll take me out and put me under six feet of earth."

- Bo McMillan, football coach 1934-47

WWW.SI.COM

An original member of the Big Ten Conference, the Indiana Hoosiers aren’t a juggernaut on the gridiron. Still, they’re smack dab in the middle of what is essent

Oregon Football's New Big Ten Conference Opponents: Wisconsin, Part 1

Wisconsin's success has been constant for the past few decades after nearly a century of ups and downs. The Badgers are among the programs Oregon is joining in the Big Ten Conference.

“People want good football in Wisconsin. People have to be patient. They have to understand that things aren't going to turn over overnight.But let me say this: They better get season tickets right now, because before long they probably won't be able to.”

- Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin coach 1990-2005

WWW.SI.COM

Wisconsin's success has been constant for the past few decades. The Badgers are among the programs Oregon is joining in the Big Ten Conference.

Oregon Football's New Big Ten Conference Opponents: Iowa, Part 1

Iowa boasts a Heisman Trophy winner and claims several national titles, though their most consistent decades have come recently. The Hawkeyes are among the programs Oregon is joining in the Big Ten Conference.

“I thank God  I was warring on the gridirons of the Midwest and not on the battlefields of Europe.  I can speak confidently and positively that the players of this country would much more, much rather struggle and fight to win a Heismand award than a Croix de Guerre.”

-Nile Kinnick, Iowa’s 1939 Heisman Trophy

WWW.SI.COM

Iowa boasts a Heisman Trophy winner and claims several national titles. The Hawkeyes are among the programs Oregon is joining in the Big Ten Conference.