Jon Joseph

Derek Peterson of Saturday Sports Is Bullish on the Ducks Going Undefeated

Peterson's takes usually appear on Saturday Down Sout, the SEC Saturday site. I am posting his take on why Oregon is a good bet to go undefeated in 2024. 

His take on how Dan Lanning has positioned the team to compete for a title in 2024 is spot on. I'm less optimistic about Ducks being perfect in 2024 only because of having to play 8 games in a row without a break including game 6 at Michigan and Game 8 at Wisconsin in November.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Looking at which teams could go undefeated during the 2024 regular season.

I am aware that the above photo is a photo of Notre Dame's Coach Freeman and not Danno. 

I think the Domers come a cropper in their opening game vs Texas A+M in College Station. I expect to see a far more disciplined and inspired team under Mike Elko than what we saw out of Jimbo.

Sorry, I encountered a 502 error? 

saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/betting-stuff-value-bets-to-go-unbeaten-in-2024-college-football-regular-season/

I'm sorry if the linked article does not appear. I am told there is a '502 error' whatever that may be.

The link works for me, but UNDEFEATED?

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Jon,

You brought up the most important facet of OBD's schedule: 8 straight conference games.

Going undefeated means playing three elite matchups, then at least two more in the playoffs ( if not all three should we advance to the finals).  

Losing in the conference title game is a 17 game schedule.

I believe it's better to go 10-2, avoid the Title game, host an opening round game, and deal with one less elite matchup ( the conference title game).  

It may happen anyway given a pretty rough conference schedule.

I actually hope Penn State goes 11-1 and earns a bid in the conference title game and faces Ohio State  at least twice this season.

Going 10-2 in the B1G almost assures a home game in round 1- even if Four B1G teams earn a bid, or five SEC teams.  

Two close losses to UM and OSU would be the  best case scenario.  

In any event, Lanning's team will have to be extraordinarily excellent to run the table against their 2024 schedule.  

Sometimes it's better to lose one to "gain one".  

Edited by Mike West
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Charles, I agree. 1st season in a new conference and run the table? I don't think that has ever happened before. 

But at +330, bet $100 win, and get $430 in return, are good odds. 

FanDuel predicts that Ohio State and Oregon will finish the regular season 11-1 but the Buckeyes are the favorite to win the conference, +155, with Oregon having the 2nd best odds at +250. Ergo, Ohio State wins the B1G champ game played in Indianapolis. 

Ponder point? For playoff seeding purposes, would Oregon be better off finishing 11-1 with a close loss to Ohio State and Penn State with a victory against Ohio State finishing 11-1 going to the title game losing badly without a Whiteout and finishing 11-2?

Instead of traveling to Indianapolis, Oregon would get a week off to plan for its first-round opponent. Oregon at 11-1, would likely be ranked 5 to 8 with a playoff first-round home game.

Many unknowns exist about how the playoff committee will see things in 2024-25. 

247SPORTS.COM

Who is the favorite to win the Big Ten title this season?

Nice to see Danno and not Ryan Day here.

• Applause 1

On 5/21/2024 at 1:04 PM, Mike West said:

Jon,

You brought up the most important facet of OBD's schedule: 8 straight conference games.

Going undefeated means playing three elite matchups, then at least two more in the playoffs ( if not all three should we advance to the finals).  

Losing in the conference title game is a 17 game schedule.

I believe it's better to go 10-2, avoid the Title game, host an opening round game, and deal with one less elite matchup ( the conference title game).  

It may happen anyway given a pretty rough conference schedule.

I actually hope Penn State goes 11-1 and earns a bid in the conference title game and faces Ohio State  at least twice this season.

Going 10-2 in the B1G almost assures a home game in round 1- even if Four B1G teams earn a bid, or five SEC teams.  

Two close losses to UM and OSU would be the  best case scenario.  

In any event, Lanning's team will have to be extraordinarily excellent to run the table against their 2024 schedule.  

Sometimes it's better to lose one to "gain one".  

Thanks, Mike, great take. My concern with finishing 10-2 would be the possibility of being seeded lower than 8 and not having a 1st round home game. Several SEC teams could finish 10-2, will the committee continue to favor all things SEC?

Make it to the final in Atlanta for the champ game on 1/20/25 and 9-seed Oregon would have to win a true away game vs a highly-ranked opponent, with the opponent likely being located in Dixie, then perhaps a Peach Bowl game in Atlanta vs the ACC champ, then an Orange Bowl game in Miami vs say, Georgia or a Cotton Bowl game in Dallas vs say, Texas, and then back to Atlanta. Wow!

Puddles would most definitely be in line for an oil change and a lube job. 

With the preference being given to conference champs this season and next I expect to see some weird results, your second game vs a team with a bye could be less difficult than your opening game, leading to a Power 2 dictated change in format come 2026-27. 

Thanks again for the insightful comment. Yes, 8 in a row without a break is cruel and unusual. Ducks are the only P4 team with this burden in 2024. Quack!

Charles, I agree. 1st season in a new conference and run the table? I don't think that has ever happened before. 

But at +330, bet $100 win, and get $430 in return, are good odds. 

FanDuel predicts that Ohio State and Oregon will finish the regular season 11-1 but the Buckeyes are the favorite to win the conference, +155, with Oregon having the 2nd best odds at +250. Ergo, Ohio State wins the B1G champ game played in Indianapolis. 

Ponder point? For playoff seeding purposes, would Oregon be better off finishing 11-1 with a close loss to Ohio State and Penn State with a victory against Ohio State finishing 11-1 going to the title game losing badly without a Whiteout and finishing 11-2?

Instead of traveling to Indianapolis, Oregon would get a week off to plan for its first-round opponent. Oregon at 11-1, would likely be ranked 5 to 8 with a playoff first-round home game.

Many unknowns exist about how the playoff committee will see things in 2024-25. 

I think it’s certainly possible, but I’d never bet on it. Going undefeated is really tough…just look at how many close calls UW had against random teams last year.

Something that seems to be getting glossed over a bit is that all the B1G contenders outside of PSU are starting new QB’s. Everyone is assuming they’ll all be just fine, but only time will tell.

BTW, does anyone else struggle to remember the acronym B1G? I have to look it up every time. I always want to initially use B10 or throw in the letter T somewhere. 😆 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Good listen:

Oregon Footballl has real reason to feel better than Ohio State post Spring

Ohio State and Oregon are the top 2 favorites in the Big 10, with both fanbases feeling supremely confident in their team. Oregon fans have a legitimate reason to feel just a touch better than the Buckeyes right now.

Today's episode of Locked On Ducks with Spencer McLaughlin is a crossover with 'Locked On Buckeyes' host Jay Stephens. How big of a concern is it that Ryan Day's team doesn't have its QB situation figured out? 10:00

Spencer and Jay also look at the top units for both teams coming out of Spring practice. The biggest matchup just might be the trenches for the October 12th showdown. 20:10

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1