Jon Joseph

Why The Pac-12 Failed ? Can't Stand Up When You Trip-Over the Bottom Line.

Your bottom line says what you are. (Thank you, Bill Parcells.)

The reporting of 2023 Power 5 Conference revenues by Jon Wilner in his recent Mailbag (on a paysite I cannot access.)

The numbers reflect what we fans saw from a mile away for over a decade, grossly negligent management of The Conference of Champions. 

Grossly negligent bordering on criminal with the fans unlike shareholders of public companies having no ability to dump the fools in charge who in turn hired fools to manage the conference. The management cost of the Pac-12 and its wholly-owned network was five times that of other P5 conferences. And with the 'Pig-2' settlement and the Comcast overpayment refund, the fools in charge continue to hose over Pac-10 fans from the grave. No attempt whatsoever to go after Larry Scott for gross mismanagement including but not limited to the Comcast debacle. Let's give Larry a going-away bonus instead. 

But this was an 'Exclusive Club,' right? Anyone with business and common sense was excluded.

Pac-12 - Revenue - $603.8M. Distributed - $403.6M - 66.7%

ACC - Revenue -$707M - Distributed $649.3M - 91.8%

B12 - Revenue - $510.7M - Distributed -$442M - 86.5%

SEC - Revenue - $852.6M - Distributed - $718.2M - 84.2%

Big Ten - Revenue - $880M - Distributed - $844M - 95.9%

Anyone who believes that Puddles was wrong to fly this coop is welcome to a free CW Network membership. 

• Whew! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Agree.

Also interesting that the ACC (which has multiple big brands, B12 has none starting in August) does so much better than the B12…yet is supposed to be the next to fold. If that’s not a sign we’re headed to a codified “super-league”, I don’t know what is.

The B12 is not a legitimate #3 football conference. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:00 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Agree.

Also interesting that the ACC (which has multiple big brands, B12 has none starting in August) does so much better than the B12…yet is supposed to be the next to fold. If that’s not a sign we’re headed to a codified “super-league”, I don’t know what is.

The B12 is not a legitimate #3 football conference. 

The media payouts for the ACC are awful and their contract goes until 2036 I believe so a really long time. 

Outside of media rights payouts a lot of money comes from different sources. Making bowl games and doing well in tournaments get the whole conference money as it's split among the members. This is usually paid out over several years. 

This is the money the Pig 2 are really keeping. 

The ACC has those big brands that are enabling these bigger payouts. Next year I suspect there might be a significant gap between the ACC and Big 12 because the ACC has better teams and brands. 

In terms of the college football playoff I see the B1G and SEC getting at least 2 teams a piece in easily if not a third. 

The ACC and Big 12 are guaranteed 1 each but I think the ACC could get 2 inif things go well but I doubt that's possible for the Big 12 without a whole lot of luck. 

But this still doesn't change how FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami all feel they are being undervalued and carrying their conference. Well Miami is probably being carried in truth. Their media deal stinks and that is what is creating resentment. 

The Big 12 is a conference of left overs and definitely the no. 4 conference on the power 4. If the big players leave the ACC for the power 2 then the ACC may restructure to look more like the Big 12... Or they just merge with the Big 12.

• Applause 1

On 5/25/2024 at 1:26 PM, David Marsh said:

The media payouts for the ACC are awful and their contract goes until 2036 I believe so a really long time. 

Outside of media rights payouts a lot of money comes from different sources. Making bowl games and doing well in tournaments get the whole conference money as it's split among the members. This is usually paid out over several years. 

This is the money the Pig 2 are really keeping. 

The ACC has those big brands that are enabling these bigger payouts. Next year I suspect there might be a significant gap between the ACC and Big 12 because the ACC has better teams and brands. 

In terms of the college football playoff I see the B1G and SEC getting at least 2 teams a piece in easily if not a third. 

The ACC and Big 12 are guaranteed 1 each but I think the ACC could get 2 inif things go well but I doubt that's possible for the Big 12 without a whole lot of luck. 

But this still doesn't change how FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami all feel they are being undervalued and carrying their conference. Well Miami is probably being carried in truth. Their media deal stinks and that is what is creating resentment. 

The Big 12 is a conference of left overs and definitely the no. 4 conference on the power 4. If the big players leave the ACC for the power 2 then the ACC may restructure to look more like the Big 12... Or they just merge with the Big 12.

My post was envisioning a world where the ACC loses its brand names to the big-2, leaving the B12 to try to claim being #3. It’s absolutely a lot of leftovers if the top 4-6 brands in the ACC go to the big-2.

All signs point to the ACC falling apart, or greatly diminishing prior to 2036.

As to the playoff,  I don’t think there's any way the SEC and B1G don’t get at least 3 each. Hard to get to 12 if those 2 only provide 4 teams combined.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

DM, love the comment.

I envision the field in 2024-25 including 4 to 5 SEC  teams, and 3-4 B1G teams, with the ACC, B12, and G5 teams being represented by one team only, and Notre Dame perhaps knocking out an SEC or B1G team.

Accordingly, I expect that in 2025-26 seeding will be based strictly on committee rankings. The ACC and B12 are locked in through 2030, then? Notre Dame playing 12 games as an Independent? ND should be required to join a conference. The B1G waits with open arms, or the Irish play 13 regular season games. 

Whatever we expect to happen in the whirlwind world of CFB will happen sooner rather than later.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

DM, love the comment.

I envision the field in 2024-25 including 4 to 5 SEC  teams, and 3-4 B1G teams, with the ACC, B12, and G5 teams being represented by one team only, and Notre Dame perhaps knocking out an SEC or B1G team.

Accordingly, I expect that in 2025-26 seeding will be based strictly on committee rankings. The ACC and B12 are locked in through 2030, then? Notre Dame playing 12 games as an Independent? ND should be required to join a conference. The B1G waits with open arms, or the Irish play 13 regular season games. 

Whatever we expect to happen in the whirlwind world of CFB will happen sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I think it will take something extraordinary for the B12 or ACC to get 2. I’m talking like an 11win team that finishes second.

Last year the second place teams would have been 10 win Louisville and 9 win Oklahoma State at the end of conference play. Highly doubt they would get the nod over a team with 9+ win team(s) from the big 2.

Time will tell!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:39 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Yeah, I think it will take something extraordinary for the B12 or ACC to get 2. I’m talking like an 11win team that finishes second.

Last year the second place teams would have been 10 win Louisville and 9 win Oklahoma State at the end of conference play. Highly doubt they would get the nod over a team with 9+ win team(s) from the big 2.

Time will tell!

I only see 2 ACC teams getting in if Clemson and FSU both have 10 wins at least.

Both are big enough brands that they could warrant the inclusion. 

I don't see the Big 12 having enough brand power to warrant a fringe second team. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/26/2024 at 12:24 PM, David Marsh said:

I only see 2 ACC teams getting in if Clemson and FSU both have 10 wins at least.

Both are big enough brands that they could warrant the inclusion. 

I don't see the Big 12 having enough brand power to warrant a fringe second team. 

I’d probably add Miami to that equation, and possibly UNC. The “who”, and who they beat will probably be a big factor.

I went back into my very first articles at FishDuck to find these two. I think these were my 3rd and 4th articles.

The creation of the Pac-12 from the Pac-10 was just a failure on so many levels.

FISHDUCK.COM

Take a moment and think of this year’s conference schedule and pick out the top three games you want to see. As Oregon fans...

FISHDUCK.COM

The expansion of the Pac-12 conference has not been to the benefit of fans. In my previous article I argued that the...

I'd say the last two years were an improvement in terms of the Pac-12 championship game. But too little too late.

If such a thing exists, this is an excellent Pac-12 eulogy from a Cal website. Cal with a better record than one game over the Mendoza line Florida did not get an NCAA baseball tourney invite while the Gators did. What's new?

WRITEFORCALIFORNIA.COM

The Pac-12 as we know it has concluded its run. Who knows if that sunny day back together comes anytime soon.

I do not want 'It' back because it will never be back as 'It' was. I do want the B1G to speak up against SEC favoritism and not simply take it in the shorts. I want standup, no-nonsense, accountable, B1G conference leadership. I do not want to see the 'arrangement' with the SEC leading to no criticism of the SEC and favoritism toward the SEC. 

• Great post! 1