cartm25

UO 2023 Offense Compared to Prior Years

A LOT of green for Dan Lanning's 2023 Ducks offense. The efficiency metrics are the best in Ducks' history . . . entire HISTORY:

image.thumb.png.0ae31862ce7874ef79adf59c83431ab7.png

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now that is fascinating. The rushing yards are down compared to prior years, but 185 yards per game was still excellent, considering we were killing-it through the air. The final six categories to the right are downright astounding.  I knew we were good, but your analysis really highlights it.  Our points-per-game is not the same as the CK glory years, but in a relative sense Oregon was No. 2 in the nation for scoring in 2023, which is pretty green to me.

That was Will Stein's first year, and considering the potent weapons and experience on the offense in 2024? Your analysis shouts that we're due for MORE!

Great stuff.  Thank you.

Bucky Irving on a Counter Play_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/7/2024 at 1:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Now that is fascinating.

Yes, the flip in Rushing/Passing YPG really stands out.

Also, the data I'm showing includes all games and are a bit inflated from non-conference blow-out games.

When I only include P-12 / Bowl / Playoff games, the points per game drops to ~40 ppg against better competition, BUT the efficiency metrics to the right stay deep/dark (i.e., good) green.

Lanning's offense may not score as many points per game as the Kelly/Helfrich teams, but Lanning's teams score on a higher % of their possessions.  

• Wow 1

4+ points per possession is insane.  Wow.   

• Thumbs Up 2

Worst total rushing yards per game and worst rushing yards per carry under Coach "Be More Physical" Cristobal.  Just proves that running straight ahead into a loaded box is not a great idea.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/7/2024 at 2:53 PM, Autzen Magic said:

Worst total rushing yards per game and worst rushing yards per carry under Coach "Be More Physical" Cristobal.  Just proves that running straight ahead into a loaded box is not a great idea.

Yes! A lot of red and orange (i.e., bad results) in the Cristbal era.

On 6/7/2024 at 12:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Now that is fascinating. The rushing yards are down compared to prior years, but 185 yards per game was still excellent, considering we were killing-it through the air. The final six categories to the right are downright astounding.  I knew we were good, but your analysis really highlights it.  Our points-per-game is not the same as the CK glory years, but in a relative sense Oregon was No. 2 in the nation for scoring in 2023, which is pretty green to me.

That was Will Stein's first year, and considering the potent weapons and experience on the offense in 2024? Your analysis shouts that we're due for MORE!

Great stuff.  Thank you.

Bucky Irving on a Counter Play_Tom Corno.jpg

Big thing to keep in mind now as well is that defenses have caught up to the offensive revolution from those Kelly years. 

The past three national champions have been teams that are really more defense first where it was all about offense for a good decade there. 

So Lanning isn't playing against defenses that get beat by the spread offense with tempo. But is forced to find ways of beating those defenses that expect to play against that type of offense.

• Thumbs Up 1