FishDuck Article

Will Stein’s Oregon Offense: Sequential Plays WIN

Every college football team has their own bread-and-butter plays that are central and crucial to their offense. The Will Stein Oregon Offense has fascinated me because of how he is dedicated to a passing game that scores boatloads of points, but yet he is also absolutely committed to a powerful run game. I took some time out from my fun ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Every college football team has their own bread-and-butter plays that are central and crucial to their offense. The Will Stein Oregon Offense has...

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Charles for a great analysis article today!  Coach Stein is an outstanding offensive coordinator.

The Counter is itself a constraint play taking advantage of power running to a tight end side.  Coach Stein has multiple ways of doing that.  Motioning a player into or away from a formation  causes defenders to change their keys and communicate to each other.

The Offense always has the advantage of knowing the play.  Defense has to react and be correct in their keys.  Causing the defense to think can give an offensive player an extra step or angle to make a great play.

• Thumbs Up 2

With Charles and Coach to enlighten me, no other guru need apply.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think one of the big reasons why Oregon's Offense has been so pass heavy despite a strong runningback corp is that Nix was just so darn efficient. 

Paired with some stellar receivers, and the passing game could gain yards on demand. 

I could see the run game tick up a bit this next year. Not dissing Gabriel but he isn't quite as efficient as Nix, or at least hasn't shown it just yet. And how do you keep James, Whittington, and Harris off the field or without the ball in their hands?

One of the things that makes Oregon so deadly is their balance offensively. If defenses have to guard both then you are mentally stressing them into mistakes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/10/2024 at 5:43 AM, Smith72 said:

The Counter is itself a constraint play taking advantage of power running to a tight end side. 

Ha!  I forgot about that, and thank goodness for the coach to point that out.  Yep, the Counter is a constraint to the Inside Zone going one direction, and the running back begins that direction, and the pivots and goes the other direction following the pulling linemen.

For linebackers following their keys of the RB direction--his steps get them going to one side of the LOS, but with pulling the linemen--the other side of the LOS has a nasty overload of blockers over there.  So the Counter is a constraint of sequential play, and this play in the analysis is a constraint off that!

Love it.

Bucky between the tackles_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/10/2024 at 8:36 AM, David Marsh said:

I could see the run game tick up a bit this next year.

This makes overt sense, yet my gut feeling is that with Stewart going deep, Tez on drag patterns across the middle, and Ferguson on seam routes...Gabriel is going to go bonkers with our passing attack, IMHO.

Passing or running?  It is good-or-good!

Traeshon Holden

Traeshon Holden_Tom Corno.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck