NJDuck

Canzano: Peek Behind the Big Ten Network Curtain

Is the network ready for Oregon, Washington, UCLA, and USC?

François McGillicuddy, the president of the Big Ten Network, engaged in a 1-on-1 conversation about conference expansion, coverage expectations, and how adding Oregon, Washington, UCLA, and USC will impact the network’s programming.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Is the network ready for Oregon, Washington, UCLA, and USC?

They sound ready, but there was one surprise to me, and it is below...

Q: What presence should Olympic sports expect to have on the Big Ten Network moving forward?

A: In short, a large one. We’re projected to produce more than 600 linear television events this upcoming year, and somewhere between 50-60 percent of that inventory will feature Olympic sports. Last year, we set network all-time single-event viewership records in women’s volleyball, women’s soccer, and women’s gymnastics, so the prospect of adding the caliber of Olympic programs we see at these schools has tremendous appeal.

At the same time, this will be an area of change for fans. Because we offer a single linear network, with finite broadcast windows and 18 schools to cover, B1G+ acts as a complementary streaming platform and is home to a sizeable amount of Olympic sports coverage. On that note, we are planning to work with schools and their fan bases in this first year to sample the B1G+ product at either complimentary or deeply discounted rates.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my Oregon Baseball will probably be on B1G+, and softball may be that way as well.  Looks like another monthly fee for five months!

Eric Becker.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I believe Francois McGillicudy owns an Irish pub that serves only the best French wines and Guinness. 

I'd love to know Francois's compensation for managing a legit, varsity network compared to Larry's salary for running his Lo$er network. Francois flies commercial and does not rent out $7000 a-night hotel suites. 12 Monkeys could have managed the Pac-12 better than 1 Crow and 11 other 'acclaimed academics.' 

I signed up for Peacock last week and will sign up for Big + when the season kicks off. The day is coming when linear will take a back seat to streaming. I'm happy Oregon is not a beta site for a rotten Apple deal. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Expansion for any business venture always has growing pains. Too much time and money spent in one area, and not enough in others. It will take time for the network to iron out all of those wrinkles. 

I fully expect a decent product to be produced by the network, since viewership is the catalyst that pays the bills. 

Sports entertainment is getting more complicated, and expensive, to receive at home. It looks like it will probably continue to get worse before it gets better.

With streaming platforms picking up some regular season, and playoff games. The ability to watch “your” team comes with additional costs.