LongwoodDuck

The State of Oregon Having TWO Major College Football Programs?

I moved to the beautiful state of Oregon in 2001. It was supposed to be temporary but I loved it and decided to stay. I went to college football games during Joey's senior year. I have always noticed that every time either the Ducks, or Beavers went to a bowl game, it seemed as if the opponents fans outnumbered us 70-30 every time.

I saw how Oregon was a really small state population wise. The fact that a state with only 4 million people at the time had two major college football programs was insane. This whole market realignment with the B1G makes sense. This state is really only big enough to support one major program. In reality, the Beavers and the Ducks just happened to be at the right place at the right time 108 years ago.

Oregon won the lottery having PK donate a fortune to the UO in athletics and academics. As the owner of this site has laid out, Oregon started to turn it around before the major donations started rolling in. I feel bad for Beavers fans, but they never ever were proactive in "anything". Their predicament has been a long time coming. OSU Is 20 years behind UO in my humble opinion in the marketing department.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/17/2024 at 5:46 PM, LongwoodDuck said:

Oregon won the lottery having PK donate a fortune to the UO in athletics and academics.

Great post!

I nitpick one point… PK’s relationship w UO is not luck.

PK came to UO because of its long and rich athletic history.

PK started Nike w his track coach at UO. 

It was Belotti’s fated trip to the ‘94/5 Rose Bowl that brought PK back into the fold.

Oregon, Linfield, and who else?😍

• Haha 6
  • Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/17/2024 at 5:46 PM, LongwoodDuck said:

I saw how Oregon was a really small state population wise. The fact that a state with only 4 million people at the time had two major college football programs was insane. This whole market realignment with the B1G makes sense. This state is really only big enough to support one major program. In reality, the Beavers and the Ducks just happened to be at the right place at the right time 108 years ago.

Crazy thing is that talent wise the state cannot support one too tier program. The state of Oregon doesn't produce enough prep talent for one of the two Oregon schools to compete at a high level. 

The Ducks keep an eye on in-state talent but between Cristobal and Lanning both opted to be very choosy with it and both have tended to give in-state talent walk on status rather than scholarships. 

Meanwhile... The beavers are celebrating landing some top in state talent... They're three stars. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Fun thoughts and story. It’s interesting to watch reality catch up with history.

A few examples:

State of Indiana has 3 “power teams” with a population 6.8m. Oklahoma has 4.0m population. Nebraska has been eating a reality sandwich for a while now.

There are a lot of schools out there where homegrown is going to get you 5-7.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 2

When has Oregon State been a major football program? One BCS bowl win, 0 conference championships. 2 top 25 finishes. Playing in a 40,000 capacity stadium with high school amenities(before this past year). One first round draft pick.

They've been below programs like Boise, Fresno, and SDSU. Just like Washington State tbh. They were propped up by Oregon for years. If they had even contributed a little bit, they would still be propped up. But the PAC Twelve was run like a country club on a country bumpkin revenue stream.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/19/2024 at 11:04 AM, Duckley Palace said:

When has Oregon State been a major football program? One BCS bowl win, 0 conference championships. 2 top 25 finishes. Playing in a 40,000 capacity stadium with high school amenities(before this past year). One first round draft pick.

They've been below programs like Boise, Fresno, and SDSU. Just like Washington State tbh. They were propped up by Oregon for years. If they had even contributed a little bit, they would still be propped up. But the PAC Twelve was run like a country club on a country bumpkin revenue stream.

Beavis did win the 1942 Rose bowl, which was played in Durham NC due to uh, Pearl Harbor. The only Rose victory between the PIG2 was held on the east coast when everyone was signing up to join the military, but hey, they’re power teams.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

My step-father was a starting defensive lineman on that beavitch team, right up til Pearl Harbor... That changed everything!

• Wow 2

On 6/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Beavis did win the 1942 Rose bowl, which was played in Durham NC due to uh, Pearl Harbor. The only Rose victory between the PIG2 was held on the east coast when everyone was signing up to join the military, but hey, they’re power teams.

Yeah, I guess Cornell, Brown, Harvard, Yale, Chicago University, and Minnesota would be considered the elite blue bloods right before Hitler chose to take his siesta. My general rule is if there is nobody alive or coherent enough to remember the feat, it's probably been too long.

Which is why Nebraska isn't a power to me anymore. They don't recruit like a power, they don't compete with the powers. I don't see that changing. So they were lucky that they got called up when they did. 

• Applause 1