FishDuck Article

Football Roster Reductions Would be a Mistake

One proposed rule change coming up for college football is reducing the team rosters down to 85-95, but there is no consensus on the set number at this time. Part of this is in fear that soon schools will have to pay their players, and by reducing the roster size for football this will reduce the overall payout. However, there ...

FISHDUCK.COM

One proposed rule change coming up for college football is reducing the team rosters down to 85-95, but there is no consensus on the set number...
  • Thumbs Up 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Excellent point concerning Walk-Ons David.  I totally agree with you. They are unsung heroes.

Thanks for writing today's article!

Posted (edited)

"There's just too much confusion, I can't get no relief." Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and Lane Kiffin?

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The Ole Miss coach defends his fix for the issue that most impacts college football's fan and coaching experience: unlimited transfers.

Loved the article and I wholly agree in principle. Thanks, David. 

So much is happening so fast, not just in CFB but across the college sports landscape. How does any coach, let alone 'The Portal King" keep his head from spinning off? No relief from Congress? Thank you! Let's get ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

When CFB players are found to be 'employees' will a non-scholarship walk-on be able to volunteer and not be paid? Will the players bargaining for the 'Union' with 'Management' want to carve an exception for Walk-Ons? Unions in 'the real world' do not allow for such exceptions. 

Revenue has to be enhanced, 'Washington Dogs Brought to you by Oscar Meyer,' and costs cut. This will lead to unfortunate choices. Do we find a way to cut costs in the No. 1 revenue program, or drop tennis as a varsity sport? 

Here's a smaller spoon stirring the pot.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

HCU argued its financial interests were not adequately represented by the proposed terms of the House settlement agreed to last month.

Thanks again, David for an argument 'to hold that line' when it comes to Walk-Ons, but I think the less talented players out of high school will have to look to D2 and D3 for playing opportunities.

SIGH 😒.

Edited by Jon Joseph

Posted (edited)

David, again, thanks for the excellent article. I do not mean to co-opt your article but IMO, issues such as roster size need to be viewed within the macro changes that are part of today's CFB.

This article further explores the split between football in particular in the P4 and the other conferences. (I believe this is a precursor to a further consolidation into a CFB football Super Conference.)

Do I like 'THIS?' Not particularly but it's all about the Benjis. More folks will watch OK State play Oklahoma than will watch OK State vs Houston.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Division I has never been more fractured, and the split between the haves and have-nots in college athletics is becoming more real than ever.

Edited by Jon Joseph

David, excellent article and you make great points that I agree with.  Thanks!

Bryce Boettcher

CS.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

With NIL, a school could have a huge roster of “non-scholarship” players. Something needs to be done to try to maintain a “level playing field” among the top college football conferences teams. 

My belief is that players earning NIL and paying their own tuition should be classified the same as scholarship players. It doesn’t matter if the school or a NIL collective is paying tuition, room and board.  

College football should maintain the true walk-on tradition for those players who might have been overlooked during the recruiting process. If they receive and accept an NIL, then they should be counted against the scholarship limit. This will require coordination between the school and their NIL collectives but that probably isn’t a bad thing.  

• Thumbs Up 2