Steven A

CBS Sports BIG Coaches Ranking

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Ranking the Big Ten coaches ahead of the 2024 season as the conference welcomes four new members

I think Smith, 7th and especially 29th in nation, is too low and Riley too high.

Danno coming in 2nd is impressive.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2024 at 10:57 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Danno coming in 2nd is impressive.

It's impressive and though I'd rank him up there .... I'm doing so less by what he's done and just as much by what he is capable of doing. He's only in his second year and is still learning. I think he could be the best coach in the country in a few years but based off his first two years I don't know if I'd honestly put him at two.

The homer in me would put him at one because I don't think there is any other coach I'd take right now.

Well... maybe Saban but I don't think he counts in this scenario.

• Thumbs Up 1

David Marsh,

Coach Saban had a lot of learning experiences before he rose to that high plateau on which he led and worked, and where his teams won seven Natl championships. Most of these mistakes occured after he returned to the university-level from the Pros. Several mistakes were noteworthy.

When Alabama played Auburn in the Iron Bowl one year, I recall the game was very close and quite near the end of regulation time. Alabama Special Teams/Field Goal Kicking team was loaded up with big linemen rather than mid-size Alabama-type linebackers that could initially block and run downfield to tackle any potential return. Return? That never happens! However, Auburn prepared for it, and had two (I believe) returners under the crossbar in the endzone. The FG was off, one Auburn returner caught the ball and returned it to the Alabama endzone for points (at the end of the game), and Auburn defeated Alabama. Most of the Alabama ST KT was too heavy to catch and tackle or impede the Auburn returner. I recall that Alabama never structured their FG Kicking team that way again, or at least never did so when I was watching their late season games. All coaches are human and make mistakes; even Bear Bryant made mistakes.

Coach Saban made many mistakes, but he also made some incredibly ballsy decisions that paid off. Just ask the coaches he beat.

Coach DL will make more mistakes, but I believe he and the position coaches/players are making fewer and fewer obvious mistakes each season. They will never be perfect, but they were rather good this past season. If the offense can approach last years' performance, and the defense can stop the run, sack passers and successfully defend passes better than they did last year (and execute Spec Teams flawlessly), we will be watching one of the best Duck football teams ever.

Extra seats in Autzen? The AD could have sold the seats to seven home games easily. Risk? There is risk in everything. There is more risk associated with not significantly improving the toilets and concessions. First impressions are critical, and we will have a lot of new visitors.

VR,

KCDuck1

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1