Duckdude

What Happened to Marcus Mariota?

I see that Marcus is now pulling down a multi-million dollar paycheck from the Washington Commanders.  Good for him!  It’s his 9th year in the NFL, and he should be very wealthy.  Congrats on that account, Marcus!

Still…….what happened?  Why didn’t he fulfill his promise?  I expected a Patrick Mahomes-like career out of him.   Instead,……he’s mostly: a career backup.  What happened?  What do you think?  Why didn’t he excel?  Inaccurate arm?  Too many injuries?  Not given enough of a chance?  Wrong team?  Wrong Coach? Other?

Tennessee didn't invest in an offensive line and he got destroyed with them. His confidence was shaken as a result and he suffered multiple injuries that took quite a while to heal. 

Also Tennessee had multiple coaching and offensive coordinator changes which is always hard. Especially when they insist on their scheme and don't modify it to fit the talents of a very talented quarterback. They wanted a strict pro style offense... Mariota needs some spread elements to flourish. 

After that he's bounced around and maybe now he's finally settling. An article I read sounded like he was in the running for the starting job. 

At this point he's happy to make a very good living on being a backup. Though if he can pull off the starting job there could be three Oregon QBs starting in the NFL!!! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pocket presence has always been a weak point compounded by poor ball protection, and his accuracy comes and goes.

One would think with the current NFL willingness to run the QB that his running traits would increase his value more than in the past, so we'll see with the commanders.

Edited by Solar
  • Let’s hope! 1

He had some really bad misses on wide open deep balls last year. I wouldn't want him to be my starting QB if he can't throw long dimes. He's a great backup, though. 

On 8/19/2024 at 9:36 PM, 2002duck said:

He had some really bad misses on wide open deep balls last year. I wouldn't want him to be my starting QB if he can't throw long dimes. He's a great backup, though. 

Lots of marginally talented guys who are credible short-term backups have made tidy fortunes carrying a clipboard along NFL sidelines over the years. More power to Marcus if his "back-up" career leaves him set for life in the years ahead.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If most QBs didn’t bust in the NFL every roster would have quality QBs 3 deep, but alas, about half don’t even have a very good starter…just look at who the Raiders are starting when they could have drafted Bo 😩 

I think Marcus was the perfect fit for the perfect scheme at the perfect time in college, was fun to watch him from the moment he stepped up in that spring game all the way to pantsing FSU in the Rose.

IMG_1692.jpeg.d40ae2e2a535fbb06a17a2895b0734df.jpeg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look at how many top 5 QBs the Bears and Jets have had since 2015.

Look at the 2021 draft compared to a year before. 2020 wasn't nearly as hyped as 2021. Yet three QBs have signed record deals from 2020, yet only one in 2021.

My guess is this recent class looks more like 2018 than 2021. But it wouldn't shock me if only one of the guys drafted this past year makes it past his rookie deal.

The factors involved can't be isolated or predicted. Otherwise all these draft gurus would be successful GMs. A guy like Justin Herbert has succeeded and failed because he's very boom or bust, much like Mahomes was coming out of Texas Tech. The difference is Mahomes sat for a year behind a quality NFL guy that made smart decisions, and had Andy Reid as a coach. Herbert was thrust into action in that odd 2020 season, he has had coaches with questionable pedigrees.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Lawrence, Allen, Jackson and Murray have all had success because of surrounding talent, great physical skills, or great coaching and being able to read defenses or just break plays open because they are physical freaks.

Mariota was mobile but not Jackson level. He has a decent arm but not like Allen,Herbert, Lawrence or Murray. He could make a few reads but not like Burrow . He doesn't have the release Burrow does either. He is comparable to Tua in a lot of respects, but doesn't have that leadership or surrounding talent that Tua does.

Edited by Duckley Palace

On 8/19/2024 at 10:51 PM, Duckley Palace said:

Mariota was mobile but not Jackson level.

I remember reading an article years ago when Tennessee was prepping to play Jackson and the Ravens and Mariota emulated Jackson. I Tennessee players said he didn't as good or better than Jackson and prepared them incredibly well. 

It just points to how poorly Tennessee coached Mariota and how they didn't build a scheme for him but just tried to plug and play and it failed. 

Herbert is a typical prostyle build with prostyle abilities so he is very much plug and play. Mariota is not and needs a scheme to allow him to be himself. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1