Steven A

Would You Have Done This???

Maryland was down 28 -14 and scored a TD.  They then went for two.

Strange call.

If you get it and then score again, you only need to kick the XP to win.

Don't get it, and you have a second chance to tie the game.

Don't get it again, and you lose.

Usually at home you play for the tie and go for the win on the road.

No, I don't like when coaches chase points.  Wait until later in the game and then decide if you need to go for 2.

I also wouldn't have gone for the 4th down in the Georgia/Texas game late in the fourth quarter up by 2+ TDs.  Statistically, it would have been nearly impossible for Texas to win that game, given the time remaining, but you increased their odds by failing to convert and giving Texas a short field to work with.  Surprised that Coach Smart went for the first down, given how well his defense was playing.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

It depends... if you're down by a lot.. greater than 2 touchdowns then going for 2 is less about the points and more about the momentum if you get it. Never underestimate the power of an emotional momentum swing. 

If down by 14 then take the extra points and if you need to go for two later that is an option. 

On 10/23/2024 at 3:08 PM, OregonDucks said:

No, I don't like when coaches chase points.  Wait until later in the game and then decide if you need to go for 2.

I also wouldn't have gone for the 4th down in the Georgia/Texas game late in the fourth quarter up by 2+ TDs.  Statistically, it would have been nearly impossible for Texas to win that game, given the time remaining, but you increased their odds by failing to convert and giving Texas a short field to work with.  Surprised that Coach Smart went for the first down, given how well his defense was playing.

As far as GA going for it late in the fourth, I think I agree with you.  I do understand Kirby’s thoughts, being that if you have a chance to make 1 yard to win the game you take it, but in this particular situation I’m inclined to agree with you bc of the way the GA defense was playing and also bc our punter has been very good.  Texas was going to need help to win, so don’t take the chance of giving them a short field.  Make it as hard as possible.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2024 at 3:22 PM, SoGaDawg said:

As far as GA going for it late in the fourth, I think I agree with you.  I do understand Kirby’s thoughts, being that if you have a chance to make 1 yard to win the game you take it, but in this particular situation I’m inclined to agree with you bc of the way the GA defense was playing and also bc our punter has been very good.  Texas was going to need help to win, so don’t take the chance of giving them a short field.  Make it as hard as possible.  

The time was definitely on Georgia’s side. It would have taken a miracle for Texas to score two TDs starting deep in their territory. It is definitely something that Coach Lanning would have done (see Washington game) but I’m surprised that Coach Smart went for it.  

Glad that it worked out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2024 at 12:35 PM, David Marsh said:

It depends... if you're down by a lot.. greater than 2 touchdowns then going for 2 is less about the points and more about the momentum if you get it.

I don't know, in this scenario it's definitely about the points. Say you're down, 28-10, and you get a touchdown, going for 2 and getting it, makes it a 10 point game. If you don't, 28-16 or 28-17 doesn't make any difference.