Jon Joseph

Strength of Record, Strength of Schedule, and the B1G Race

Strength of Record Rankings (SOR) include Strength of Schedule (SOS), the strength of a team's opponents, game control, and other factors to determine how a team has preformed to date against its schedule compared to 133 other teams that, in theory, are competing for an invitation to the 2024/25 College Football Playoff (Playoff.) SOR also includes a ranking of a team's remaining SOS (RSOS.)

The Playoff Committee (supposedly) pays attention to SOR, especially when determining tie-breakers between teams. 

After Week 8, the following is the SOR rankings for B1G teams in the running for the B1G title and Playoff, the teams on Oregon's schedule not in the B1G title and Playoff hunt, and a ranking of the teams remaining RSOS.

1. Georgia - Shout out to the Dawgs for moving up to SOR No. 1. This will happen when you give the No. 1 team the worst beating for a No. 1 ranked team playing at home since 1982. 

Desmond Howard: "Texas showed up for a football game. Georgia showed up for a street fight."

To date, UGA's SOS is No. 4 and UGA's remaining SOS is 10. No easy day out Athens's way.

21. Boise State - SOS - 65/ RSOS - 81 - Boise is ranked 17 in the AP Poll and is -3.5 vs UNLV in Las Vegas Friday night. 7:30 CBSSN. 

Puddles needs the Broncos and RB Jeanty to Keep on Bucking. 

THE B1G -

2. OREGON - SOS - 39/ RSOS - 25. When you play one of the worst teams in the country no matter the final score your SOR will drop. OBD drops one spot after Week 8 which is nice considering the results of the Ducks first two games. 

Keep winning and the Committee (in theory) will have no reason to drop the Ducks based on the schedule played. 

5. Penn State - SOS - 70/ RSOS - 16

11. Indiana - SOS - 109/ RSOS - 23

16. Ohio State - SOS - 36/ RSOS - 20

17. Illinois - SOS - 58/ RSOS - 31

30. Wisconsin - SOS - 33/ RSOS - 29

Ranked at 30, the Badgers would be a Basketball Committee Quad 1 road win. If college football had pods, road wins at the top 40 would probably be Quad 1 wins. Penn State plays a night game in Mad City on Saturday. 

B1G Teams Out of Conference and Playoff Contention and On OBD's Schedule -

47. Michigan - SOS 22/ RSOS - No. 7 - I guess Harbaugh did tick off a lot of folks. 

58. Maryland - SOS 54/ RSOS - 14 If only the Terps could play USC every week. 😁

65. UWho - SOS 79/ RSOS -  No. 4. On King! On you Huskies! 😁

B1G and Playoff Contenders Ranked By Remaining SOS.

16. Penn State/ 20. Ohio State/ 23. Indiana/ 25. OREGON/ 29. Wisconsin/ 

31. Illinois. But for 8 straight games without a break and travel to the Eastern and Central time zones in November, on paper, the schedule is 'manageable.'

With (THE) a Ducks win on Saturday, the Illini will no longer be fighting for B1G and Playoff rewards.

May There Be No Champagne on the flight home to Champaign 😍.

Playoff Plus Take - Do Not Give Me Liberty! +26.5 K(ennesaw) State 27 - Liberty 24 😁

Speaking of Quads -

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Here's a cheat sheet for evaluating the résumés of every College Football Playoff contender

Penn State -6.5 @ Wisconsin. Maybe I'm Full of Klatt, but PSU is just unimpressive to me, and I'll take Wisky to cover. Washington @ Indiana 6.5, with GameDay, without starting QB, Hoosiers cover. 

• Thumbs Up 1

30, I think it's close but Penn State wins. I hope this is the case because I want to see four B1G teams in the Playoff. With Bama's beat down of the Badgers, I don't see Wisky getting a bid unless it wins the B1G.

Let PSU lose to tOSU which will goose OBDs SOS.

Wisconsin's 3 staright B1G wins have come against B1G bottom feeders.

On 10/24/2024 at 1:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Let PSU lose to tOSU which will goose OBDs SOS.

I'll go with that.