FishDuck Article

The Oregon Offense: Double Pull Power RPO

The Oregon Ducks currently sit as the number one scoring offense in the Pac-12 conference. They have done so behind a well balanced attack orchestrated by Coach Joe Moorhead. Though the passing game continues to improve with each passing week, it is the run schemes that have caught my eye. The Ducks are doing exactly what Coach Mario Cristobal set ...

Read the full article here...

• Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

You said what?

The Ducks are doing exactly what Coach Mario Cristobal set out to do; have an explosive offense with a tough, physical presence at the line of scrimmage. 

love it!

5sy9hj.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

lol, love the dancing duck Haywarduck.  I am thrilled seeing progress with the schemes on the football field.  Hoping to see the Ducks continue to peek at the right time moving forward, especially with Utah on our schedule.

Thanks For the article!

Edited by NJDuck

Something that many of us lamented under Cristobal was the loss of the Counter play and others where you use angle to create holes with offensive linemen blocking down, (inside) with others pulling to blow open a hole.

Mario liked a lot of straight ahead, "root-them-out," when that is not always practical against the top teams. The use of the power play beginning last season, and now this double-power using the guard and tight end is a play I LOVE.  Glad to see more of "Moorhead" rolled out, and grateful to Coach Boles for bring it to our attention!

Dye gets blocks_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I love this play and love your analysis Eric!  I look forward to reading your articles.

These type of angle blocking schemes enable our huge athletic linemen to open gaping holes such as we saw Byron Cardwell run thru against Colorado.

Smart and physical gives the linemen the advantage to control the line of scrimmage.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Something that many of us lamented under Cristobal was the loss of the Counter play and others where you use angle to create holes with offensive linemen blocking down, (inside) with others pulling to blow open a hole.

Mario liked a lot of straight ahead, "root-them-out," when that is not always practical against the top teams. The use of the power play beginning last season, and now this double-power using the guard and tight end is a play I LOVE.  Glad to see more of "Moorhead" rolled out, and grateful to Coach Boles for bring it to our attention!

Dye gets blocks_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

I’d really like to see Coach Moorhead pull out the counter too!

In regards to "angle blocking" scheme versus "root-them-out": look at the Cardwell run for TD against Colorado.  https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=32513494

Ryan Walk has a good block because his man was already inside him (away from the play).  Ryan moves him further away from the play.  That block is easier that trying to move his man backwards.

Combine that with a double team block on the left side and the hole is huge.  The angle that #77 George Moore has enables him to turn the double team and seal off the hole.

Compare that success with the failure against Stanford right before half time.  Or better yet look at all the pistol plunges and the failure to root out the defenders!

Smart versus physical.  Physics beats physical!

On 11/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, Smith72 said:

In regards to "angle blocking" scheme versus "root-them-out": look at the Cardwell run for TD against Colorado.  https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=32513494

Ryan Walk has a good block because his man was already inside him (away from the play).  Ryan moves him further away from the play.  That block is easier that trying to move his man backwards.

Combine that with a double team block on the left side and the hole is huge.  The angle that #77 George Moore has enables him to turn the double team and seal off the hole.

Compare that success with the failure against Stanford right before half time.  Or better yet look at all the pistol plunges and the failure to root out the defenders!

Smart versus physical.  Physics beats physical!

To be fair, that play is inside zone though. Cardwell did a really good job of taking a backside gap which allowed the OL to have the angle advantage while still trying to blast a hole through them. 

• Thumbs Up 1