Jon Joseph

PLAYOFF EXPANSION? NO AGREEMENT TO DATE

After 2 days of meetings the conferences involved in the playoff and Notre Dame, could not reach consensus regarding PO expansion.

The Alliance with the ACC being the most adamant, want an 8 team PO with 5 P5 champs and a G5 representative guaranteed a spot. Apparently the Pac-12 is OK with 8 or 12? I have no idea why the B1G would oppose a move to 12 but so far the B1G is in the 8 team camp.  And the B1G along with the Pac-12 wants assurance that the Rose Bowl will be part of an expanded PO with the game played on 1/1 and kicking off at 5 PM eastern.

The G5, the SEC and Notre Dame want a 12 team field.

The powers-that-be have agreed to meet again on 12/1/21 to again discuss PO expansion. Why? I have no idea? I am not certain that there will ever be a consensus at 8 or 12, even though either choice would bring in a lot more money?

I think the B1G in particular wants its B1G Network partner FOX, being able to bid for expanded PO broadcast rights. As of now ESPN owns exclusively owns the PO media rights through 2025, although ESPN has apparently signaled a willingness to amend the current agreement should the field expand prior to 2026. 

Apparently the ACC is not in concert with its media partner, ESPN? ESPN owns the ACC Network and the ACC media rights through 2036.

Will the PO go away in favor of an ACC, B1G, Notre Dame and Pac-12 Run For The Roses? Things would not be as lucrative without the SEC but I believe the ACC, B1G and Pac-12 are fed up with the SEC and ESPN and also, Notre Dame?

I get the feeling the same people responsible for deciding whether or not to eliminate the CFP invitational are also responsible for deciding whether or not to eliminate the time change.

• Haha 1

If there is ever a time to expand it is now with the financial hit the schools have taken with no NCAA basketball tournament and limited football with the pandemic. Money talks and it might happen with this backdrop for the schools with a little broader view than just $$$$$$$'s.

5t4cyp.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, Haywarduck said:

If there is ever a time to expand it is now with the financial hit the schools have taken with no NCAA basketball tournament and limited football with the pandemic. Money talks and it might happen with this backdrop for the schools with a little broader view than just $$$$$$$'s.

5t4cyp.jpg

Great take. I kind of liked the Basketball Tournament being played in one general location?

As you so correctly note the Pac-12 needs the additional CFB PO expansion dues. 

Go to 12! If the Pac-12 champ can't qualify that's on the conference and the champ. And do the smart thing for once play 8 regularly scheduled conference games and especially with no expansion in sight drop divisions.

Use the NIL approach to pay guys who play in PO games. 12 team field will only rarely produce a team that plays 17 games.

Here is what the line up would be using the PO Committee Week 1 rankings and the models of the proposed 12 and 8 team playoffs.

12 - 

1. UGA - SEC vs 9 Wake Forest ACC at 8 Oklahoma B12

2. MI ST - B1G vs 10 Notre Dame AL at 7 Michigan AL

3. OREGON - Pac-12 vs 11 OK ST AL at 6 Ohio State AL

4. CINCINNATI - AAC vs 12. Baylor AL at 5 Alabama AL

8 -

! UGA - SEC vs 8 Wake ACC

2. Bama - AL vs 7 OK - B12

3. MI ST - B1G vs. 6 -Cincinnati - G5

4. Oregon - Pac-12 vs 5 Ohio State AL