Chuc007

Coaching history

Never thought of myself as an old timer (class of ‘66) ,but here goes. I don’t see how the great article on duck coaching history could leave out Len Casanova who coached at Santa Clara then came to the UO as head football coach.He was an excellent coach and better leader of men. His 10/7 loss to number one Ohio State in the 1958 Rose Bowl was spectacular at that time even given the final score.

Not only did he coach two great Oregon NFL hall of famers , Mel Renfro and Dave Wilcox, he also guided terrific coaches into the NFL namely John McKay, George Seifert, John Robinson, and.Gunther Cunningham of the.K a sad City Chiefs

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Oregon's history of coaches is unique and extremely important. Players come and go, but coaches continue to have an impact on lives for generations.

We have been blessed to have had some of the greatest coaches develop here, move on from here, and continue to positively impact lives everyday. Thanks for sharing this about one of the greatest, Len Casanova, who coached and then stayed on at Oregon and had one of the largest positive impacts on the University.

Interesting to read about Casanova, he had one of the longest punts in football history, 97 yds wow. Also as the coach of Santa Clara he beat a guy who served underneath him in the Navy in the Orange Bowl. He upset Paul Bryant at Kentucky after traveling all the way across the country. Bryant, as coaches use to do, made no excuses, said Casanova out coached him.

5u1kq3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I grew up going to games across the way, in section 11. Some amazing Duck fans in those rows!