Charles Fischer

Surprising: The Real Reason For Dana's Teams Peaking Late

I was surprised in the telecast last night to hear of how Dana Altman had been interviewed and asked about how his teams always improve significantly in February and take a jump in production in the last half of the season.

He explained that he teaches the same concepts throughout, but it takes that long for each team to "buy-into" what he is coaching, and when they decide as a group to embrace it? Things improve and take off.

He said this team has a lot of talent, but he is waiting for them to buy-in this year as they do in other years.  So--the reason for the late blooming is the players believing in Dana--wow.

Dana Altman (2).jpg

Mr. FishDuck

That seems to be how it has worked, and once again, this time with even more talent and height, than usual, Oregon is a team where a lot of new players will have to start from scratch before they all "buy in".

Speaks to the concept of teaching, coaching isn't about being right, but for getting others to accept your right, adapt to it being their new right. I didn't misspell 'your right,' because everyone has their right, and the trick is to get others to buy into your way of thinking, and then the whole group.

This is where creating a culture with processes and systems is so important. This is also much more manageable within small groups. Our second dog was easy to train, he learned from our first. The concerning item is how Pittman left, was he alone in his dissension? You can't have players undermining or not onboard.

While Altman does an amazing job of this with new student athletes ever year, on the scale of a football team it is a gargantuan task. It takes a massive personality which I believe Mario has, and Helfrich didn't.

Altman definitely has the perfect personality, and is at the elite level in this aspect. I see this loud and clear from the sideline every game, he is a rock, and yet a consistent river on messaging.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I read the same thing about Chips team in his 1st year as an HC at Oregon. He had that deer in the headlights look in the

Boise St game, then after a few more games the team took off. I wonder if MC is having the same issues. The problem with

starting slow is getting seeded low in the NCAA tourney. Be nice to have a bye early on.

Edited by GODUCKS15