Haywarduck

PRIDE PROBLEM?

There seems to be an abundance of pride on the team. The problem seems to be not enough pride in the program.

The one player who epitomizes the pride I am thinking of is DJ Johnson. He did whatever was needed, on offense, defense and did it well. Pride in the program seemed to be his focus.

AB seemed to be much the same, but his lack of ability limited his impact. His lack of ability also seemed to create discontent within the wide receiver room, not just the transfer.

While there are many aspects on how a receiver impacts a game, catching balls is why they came. A lack of pride, with their lack of use, seemed to be problematic within our offense. 

I would also say the defense also didn't reach it's potential and often seemed like they were playing for self pride, not team pride. There were games where gang tackling happened and one player fed off the other, but that tapered off as the season waned. 

With Cristobal he seems to focus on loyalty to a fault. Loyalty is great, but you have to be loyal to the outcome on the field, in the end.

I think Cristobal's loyalty to players became almost as much of a problem as his conservative play calling focus. These two items added up to a net negative to a very promising season.

Next man up can mean helping when a player is just off for a game. We seem to live by, same man as he craters down.

Another difference maker, we should have closed on was Apu Ika. He chose LSU, then Baylor over Oregon. If we had Apu along with Thibs, the dline would have been something to watch. It is time for Oregon to win one of the trench warriors and the defense would be lights out. Thibs might have even played in the final game, while having so much fun.

5wncu6.jpg

• Haha 1

I want pride in program week in week out, win or lose.

I still remember having great pride in how the Ducks performed under Brooks, even when we lost. Maybe that is a little creative memory making, but the pride in program isn't there yet.

I will also say Sewell missed some tackles late because he knew what needed to be done. He needed to strip the ball more than make a tackle. That guy is one of my favorite all-time. I just hope we get to better appreciate just how special he is next season.

I think this is why Frost still has a job. He is losing, but the players have great pride and are building. 

5wnf9g.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

His loyalty should be to the team and not to individual players.  You do what's best for the team which means you play your best players based on results, not seniority.  If it means ditching the pistol formation or benching AB, you do it! 

I have a hard time believing that AB was better than TT.   TT got to play part of the  Stoney Brook game and part of the Arizona game and then one drive against the Buffs which ended with in an interception.  That's it! 

MC never gave him a chance to get his rhythm or any kind of footing.  Yet, even with all the fumbles and interceptions, to the detriment of the team, MC gave AB more chances than he deserved.  Maybe, if MC just placed the same type of faith in TT that he had for AB, things would have worked out differently. 

Anyone following his high school career, knows TT is a gamer.   He led his team to a late comeback victory for the State championship.  He never panicked down 14 pts in the fourth quarter.  That is the type of poise and leadership, the Ducks could have used last night.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1