Desert Duck

Who Really Wants to Coach at Oregon?

When was the last time Oregon hired a proven, successful, head football coach with a winning D1 record? (I emphasize D1 because Don Read squeaked out a 20-19 record at Portland State before becoming an assistant coach at Oregon, and then the HC 1974).

At least in the last 50 years, the answer is a stone, cold-hearted, “NEVER.” Not Enright, Read, Brooks, Bellotti, Kelly, Helfrich, Taggert, and certainly not Cristobal.

I feel like if Oregon were ever going to attract a proven, marquee-level coach, it would have come on the heels of Chip Kelly. When Chip departed in 2012, Oregon had amassed a record over the previous six years of 65-14, concluding with one National Championship game, two Rose Bowls, and a Fiesta Bowl. In addition, thanks to the unprecedented generosity of Phil & Penny Knight, we arguably had (and still have) the most outstanding facilities in all of college football. We also have the major athlete attraction of basically being “Team Nike.” And finally, the program essentially has more football money than God to throw out to potential hires.

Given all of this, my question is: Is the Oregon head coaching job attractive to proven, marquee-level, coaching talent?

At the end of the day, when I look at the facts and history, the University of Oregon football head coaching gig is simply not as attractive to proven head coaching talent as some of us might like to believe. Look no further than our last three hires – Helfrich (no previous HC experience), Taggert (losing HC record before & after Oregon), and Cristobal (‘nuff said). And if we recall, Kelly was also a bit of a wild-card hire as he had no previous head coaching experience.

In light of all of this, unless we can do what we have not done in at least a half-century and hire a proven marquee coach, and I don’t see that on the horizon, I’ve reconsidered my Justin Wilcox take. Why not give the guy a shot? Maybe it’s time to go old-school, bring the guy home, and let him attempt to build something more than flash.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I’m partial to bringing Wilcox back to the flock.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the admin needs to be aware of the potential culture fits moving forward. The Oregon job has a ton to offer, but it is 100 miles to the nearest major city which isn't ideal for everyone. Have got to find someone that not only wants to coach the ducks, but wants to raise their family/live in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

Oregon is a top 15 destination nationally. 

Im sure lots of coaches would love to be here.

• Like 2

Come to Oregon to coach for the Ducks.  

Stay for the mountains, beaches, beer, wine and coffee.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chip did a really good job getting good players from the transfer portal this season. I listened to an interview he did on the radio. He said he needed to use it because UCLA lost a lot of players and it was a place he could go and find guys who could qualify academically. Anyway, if the Ducks land him they’ll need his experience and expertise in finding good talent in the portal.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Its bad but this is not the place to talk about this.

Thank you 1Ducker1

On the bright side, they all think Mt. Hood is absolutely gorgeous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:00 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

On the bright side, they all think Mt. Hood is absolutely gorgeous.

Because it is a beyond stunning beauty. As is most of Oregon. If it was a beauty contest, Oregon wins hands down pretty much every time.

• Like 1

Guest KingT

It's a top destination. Best booster in the Nation, hands down. Unlimited resources and facility infrastructure. Great national fan base. Manageable conference to win/dominate (unlike SEC). Marque brand with IT factor/prestige.

Don't think it's a great spot though if you aspire to go to the NFL (Chip) or you're from Florida/South. Otherwise, it's very attractive.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, KingT said:

It's a top destination. Best booster in the Nation, hands down. Unlimited resources and facility infrastructure. Great national fan base. Manageable conference to win/dominate (unlike SEC). Marque brand with IT factor/prestige.

Don't think it's a great spot though if you aspire to go to the NFL (Chip) or you're from Florida/South. Otherwise, it's very attractive.

"or you're from Florida"

For sure no more coaches from Florida 😉