1Funduck

I Believe the Whole CFB World has raised eyebrows.

First it was Lincoln Riley to USC. Nobody, and I mean Nobody saw that coming. That move sent shockwaves through CFB. Oklahoma was stunned that they lost their HC. After all, isn't OU a Big Time Destination job? It has nearly all the boxes checked. Recruits want to go there and OU consistently has a top tiered recruiting class. They have dominated their conference for years. They play in one of the most storied rivalry's in CFB. They are on their way to the vaunted SEC. What's not to like?

It IS SC. Well, there's that. It's an hour's drive to the warm beaches of Southern California, family should love that. It's the Entertainment capital of the world. Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, Chargers, Movie Stars, eclectic eateries representing the entire world??!!! And, did I mention...It's USC?! 

...then, in seeming disarray, Oregon looks like a sitting duck as we all think it is waddling through a hiring process. This board seemed to be resigned to a retread and a still unproven in current HC's. Both with supremely unattractive records over the last 3 years. Why were they being considered again? Loyalty? Really? They won't leave 'us' in 3-4 years? Really? Our desire for continuity within the Coaching halls is more important than winning? Surely we can win with loyalty. That was the sentiment by many posters. 

....and yet? Rob Mullens goes out, amongst all the confusion, and with one of the largest Shoe Boxes of money at his disposal, and hires an up and coming Defensive Coordinator from Georgia. Georgia you say? Yeah, Georgia. Top of the heap in defense in the SEC. For three years running, a stellar resume in defense that should make the entire CFB world turn an eye to Oregon and start to admiringly wonder, 'how long before Oregon comes rumbling into the playoffs?'

That leaves me wondering, why Oregon? Maybe I have Green and Yellow glasses on, but I believe Oregon is a destination school. First off, the cupboard is NOT bare. It's loaded! We have a full complement of 4* athletes. The fan base is wildly supportive. The facilities are second to none. Even NFL teams drool of Oregon's facilities. Oregon has consistently had a top tier team in the PAC for 20 years. A down year here or there, but more times than not, Oregon has been fighting at the top. And we have the man behind the 'Swoosh' thats painted on the Shoe Box mentioned earlier.

There are few people in this world that have more pull with their name than Uncle Phil. And, did I mention, Oregon is an incredibly beautiful state? That's not a reason to take a HC job, but it is icing on the cake. 

Oregon is respected through out the CFB world. It's everyones little brother. It has the genetics, but is always playing second fiddle when it comes to the Natty. Every so often, Oregon rises up and puts a good whoop'n on his Big brother, OU, tOSU, FSU. But, I believe, Oregon has been growing up right before our eyes. It's showed with the interior recruits that have been coming to town.

It shows with top ten players at their position all over the field. Now, it's time to teach little brother how to win National Championships. We all love Flashy Offenses, but we all know that Defenses are what win games after Jan 1. If you win games in January, you have been winning all year long. Georgia had no problem putting up points. But, their bread and butter was defense. And, Oregon got that Defensive minded Coach. Rob Mullens should be congratulated.

He gets under the burning microscope every 3-4 years. Hiring MC was an unknown but it sure worked well. Lanning is NOT an unknown. His coaching chops have already been proven in the toughest conference swarming with NFL players. If people can't see this as a Grand Slam, well then, maybe their glasses are too Green and Yellow. 

USC just let out a gasp. Yeah, that USC that just hired Lincoln Riley. Washington fans are going to have a bad, wet winter. UCLA isn't sure what to think. And the Mighty Beavs? They aren't going anywhere. And they aren't scared either. They will over achieve with underwhelming players. They have been resigned to their role. Their fans want loyalty in a HC. Someone who won't leave at the drop of the hat.

Do you get the sense that OSU will play for Conference Championships on a regular basis? A slugger's chance to position itself for the Playoffs?  Me neither. Why? Because OSU won't make the splash hire. Oregon will. Oregon just landed a Top Tier talent. I'm ecstatic! We all should be.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

1FunDuck......

Well stated, well thought out and thanks for the post. 

Ditto, ditto and more ditto.

The Trojans football teams dominated the PAC most of the first decade of the 21st century.  The  Ducks, Stanford and theNorthern outlier took most of the 2nd decade.

This hire has the possibility for Oregon to dominate, not just in the PAC, but catapult the Ducks into the highest level. 

Let the 3rd decade be Oregons.....

• Like 1

I wonder what was happening to make this work. It sounded like Mullens was buy calling, talking to all the standard candidates. Somebody was busy getting Lanning on the line. I'm not sure it was Mullens.

Lanning appears to be a great hire. I'm hopeful that some of his first actions can be to get our de-commits to commit. We had another pretty special class in the making. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/12/2021 at 7:12 AM, 1Funduck said:

First it was Lincoln Riley to USC. Nobody, and I mean Nobody saw that coming. That move sent shockwaves through CFB. Oklahoma was stunned that they lost their HC. After all, isn't OU a Big Time Destination job? It has nearly all the boxes checked. Recruits want to go there and OU consistently has a top tiered recruiting class. They have dominated their conference for years. They play in one of the most storied rivalry's in CFB. They are on their way to the vaunted SEC. What's not to like? 

It IS SC. Well, there's that. It's an hour's drive to the warm beaches of Southern California, family should love that. It's the Entertainment capital of the world. Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, Chargers, Movie Stars, eclectic eateries representing the entire world??!!! And, did I mention...It's USC?! 

...then, in seeming disarray, Oregon looks like a sitting duck as we all think it is waddling through a hiring process. This board seemed to be resigned to a retread and a still unproven in current HC's. Both with supremely unattractive records over the last 3 years. Why were they being considered again? Loyalty? Really? They won't leave 'us' in 3-4 years? Really? Our desire for continuity within the Coaching halls is more important than winning? Surely we can win with loyalty. That was the sentiment by many posters. 

....and yet? Rob Mullens goes out, amongst all the confusion, and with one of the largest Shoe Boxes of money at his disposal, and hires an up and coming Defensive Coordinator from Georgia. Georgia you say? Yeah, Georgia. Top of the heap in defense in the SEC. For three years running, a stellar resume in defense that should make the entire CFB world turn an eye to Oregon and start to admiringly wonder, 'how long before Oregon comes rumbling into the playoffs?' That leaves me wondering, why Oregon? Maybe I have Green and Yellow glasses on, but I believe Oregon is a destination school. First off, the cupboard is NOT bare. It's loaded! We have a full complement of 4* athletes. The fan base is wildly supportive. The facilities are second to none. Even NFL teams drool of Oregon's facilities. Oregon has consistently had a top tier team in the PAC for 20 years. A down year here or there, but more times than not, Oregon has been fighting at the top. And we have the man behind the 'Swoosh' thats painted on the Shoe Box mentioned earlier. There are few people in this world that have more pull with their name than Uncle Phil. And, did I mention, Oregon is an incredibly beautiful state? That's not a reason to take a HC job, but it is icing on the cake. 

Oregon is respected through out the CFB world. It's everyones little brother. It has the genetics, but is always playing second fiddle when it comes to the Natty. Every so often, Oregon rises up and puts a good whoop'n on his Big brother, OU, tOSU, FSU. But, I believe, Oregon has been growing up right before our eyes. It's showed with the interior recruits that have been coming to town. It shows with top ten players at their position all over the field. Now, it's time to teach little brother how to win National Championships. We all love Flashy Offenses, but we all know that Defenses are what win games after Jan 1. If you win games in January, you have been winning all year long. Georgia had no problem putting up points. But, their bread and butter was defense. And, Oregon got that Defensive minded Coach. Rob Mullens should be congratulated. He gets under the burning microscope every 3-4 years. Hiring MC was an unknown but it sure worked well. Lanning is NOT an unknown. His coaching chops have already been proven in the toughest conference swarming with NFL players. If people can't see this as a Grand Slam, well then, maybe their glasses are too Green and Yellow. 

USC just let out a gasp. Yeah, that USC that just hired Lincoln Riley. Washington fans are going to have a bad, wet winter. UCLA isn't sure what to think. And the Mighty Beavs? They aren't going anywhere. And they aren't scared either. They will over achieve with underwhelming players. They have been resigned to their role. Their fans want loyalty in a HC. Someone who won't leave at the drop of the hat. Do you get the sense that OSU will play for Conference Championships on a regular basis? A slugger's chance to position itself for the Playoffs?  Me neither. Why? Because OSU won't make the splash hire. Oregon will. Oregon just landed a Top Tier talent. I'm ecstatic! We all should be.

When does he start coaching at Oregon?

Excellent analysis.  I like this outside the Oregon box pick.  I understand the concern over Oregon being used as a stepping stone.  Especially after MC seemed distracted over the last month, and bolted for home.  You even made a great point about Oregon's coaching consistency from Rich Brooks through Mike Bellotti.  Chip gave us 5 years, one as OC, and went to the pros.  I get why, strike while the novelty is new.  Then Mark Helfrich a consistent hire from within, was a seamless transition from Chip until the poor recruiting became obvious...

I believe traditional Duck fans would like to see the previous continuity in our future.  But I also believe that in order to be nationally relevant we will have to get used to a bit of a coaching carousel.  Nick Saban coached around alot before settling down as the winningest coach in Alabama history. 

We just need to continue to build an Oregon history worth coaching at.  We have a national brand, thanks to; Chip, Uncle Phil, Mike Bellotti, Mario Cristobal, a Heisman trophy winner (thanks Marcus)... Let's hope Coach Lanning ads to a new and positive continuity.

I think Lanning has the potential but its going to take several years for it to gel. Will the fans be willing to wait?

Will he have the patience for it to happen before bolting???

On 12/12/2021 at 8:59 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think Lanning has the potential but its going to take several years for it to gel. Will the fans be willing to wait?

Will he have the patience for it to happen before bolting???

1Ducker1

Patience appears to be in short supply these days. Especially in the sports world.

Your question is valid and I guess only time will tell.

Once we are presented the terms and money of his contract,  then we can see if RM and PK made Oregon a destination job.

What they pay the OC and DC will be telling also. IMHO......

Great day to be a Duck.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

It's likely that only two Pac-12 football programs could have lured Dan Lanning from Georgia--USC and Oregon. These are the two premier national brands in the conference.  

Not to take away from this hire (I personally approve of it) but I don’t think this move for Lanning was JUST because Oregon is such a destination school. A lot (as in most) position coaches are looking to become head coaches as that is not only a promotion but the pinnacle of the college football world. That is why many of our recent position coaches have left (to Nevada, Akron, UNLV, etc.).  

It’s not that those are amazing destination schools compared to UofO, but the amazing opportunity for these coaches to make a lot more money and a lot more fame for themselves than simply being a DC, OC or the like.  Not to say Lanning would have taken any old HC gig, but with the money Oregon was offering in addition to the premier chance to be a HC at a top tier Power 5 school, many position coaches around the country would be eager to make this step up.