Ktmguy2018

THIS is What It's About...

Like most of you, I watched the Lanning press conference and was impressed with the enthusiasm and excitement that he exuded.  I didn't expect to hear him lay out his offensive/defensive schemes (although it sounds like he wants to stretch the field), so I listened more for his approach to life.  What struck me the most was this comment:

" But just as important as creating championship teams. We're going to create championship fathers. We're going to create championship husbands. We're going to create championship men that the University of Oregon and our alumni and fan base can be proud of."

That one hit me.  This guy WANTS to win a championship with Oregon, he wants to see our players successful on the field.  But this may be the first time I've heard someone say that they want to build men of character that will be good people, fathers, and husbands.  Now, I'll be first to admit that I don't listen to other coaches press conferences at other schools, so maybe this is from the new-coach-press-conference handbook.  But I saw a sincerity in the guy that just made me believe that genuinely cares how these young men do after college.

I am the first to admit that I want the Ducks to be successful and win.  But who of us cringed when Cliff Harris and Darron Thomas were stopped and Cliff uttered those infamous words.  Or when Masoli was charged with burglary for the laptop thing.  I know you can't stop young men from doing stupid things (or even us older guys);  but if Oregon can be a school of winning AND high character men; Lanning has done his job!

My $0.02.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

The NIL, I believe has opened a door, that the school may help student athletes explore.  I have to believe that any decisions made by student athletes has to meet requirements set forth by the NCAA.  Or not violate NCAA rules.  Having a resource to help those athletes, to properly navigate NIL opportunities keeps the school, programs out of trouble, while guiding students in the right direction.

As far as building men or athletes of Character.  A great opportunity, students getting an education to do a job, athletic abilities to support current and future endeavors.  Not everyone can play in pro sports but being a part of the community, where ever that may be.

I like that some of Oregon's former athletes have gone to work in the local communities, as business men, business owners, mentors, teachers and coaches.  Keenan Lowe, Darron Thomas, last I read, coaching at Jefferson, Chris Miller at West Linn HS.  LaMichael, a business owner, others working for Nike or other businesses.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love what I am reading.  Mario gets a raise to $8 mil a year, Miami pays for us to Hire a new Coach, for the first two Years.  We get rid of Coach Speak and no Offense for a promise of Action, Defense and Explosion Plays.  How in the World does this Happen?  Only at Oregon?

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3