deschutesduck

Lane Kiffin on Having a Small Early Signing Day Class

I realize the big reason behind us having a small class was the coaching changes but what Kiffin says makes sense 

"Kiffin said he expects the portal to fill up after bowl season and again after spring practices. The coach wouldn't say how many scholarships he's holding onto, but he did say it's "much higher" than the number of players he signed.

The plan is to keep adding the best talent throughout the year, not to prioritize adding the most talent in one window. Kiffin is playing the "patience game."

• Thumbs Up 3

Sounds like sound reasoning to me unless you can sign high 4/5* out of high school.

It appears to me that Kiffin has matured some as a person and especially as a coach.  He still says occasional stupid things, but he's put together a good staff, recruits well, relates well to his players, and is a good game day coach.  I think he does a good job, and I would have been fine with him at Oregon if he thought before he spoke.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, 47sgs said:

It appears to me that Kiffin has matured some as a person and especially as a coach.  He still says occasional stupid things, but he's put together a good staff, recruits well, relates well to his players, and is a good game day coach.  I think he does a good job, and I would have been fine with him at Oregon if he thought before he spoke.

I'd even tolerate the occasional dumb quote from him (as long as it's not horribly bad) as long as he generally behaved well and won games.

Agree it use to be like Christmas with signing day, all the new student athletes you were allotted. Now it is like having parents who can't find all the gifts, student athlete's until they leak out over the months after Christmas.

The transfer portal has created a whole different element for building a team. If you are good at it, the team you build is much more likely to have the players you need after seeing them play against you or other teams. 

Watching high school kids dominate against inferior talent is hard to evaluate. Coaches often rely on the camps kids go too, but those are often just a place to get a glowing write up as the kids parents are paying for the camp. Kicker camps are notorious for promoting kickers who can only perform in a vacuum, with the wind behind them.

The transfer portal may become the more productive way of picking up talent with heart, which only shows up once game day switches to Saturday. 

Colleges may end up signing only the sure things and then picking up transfers who have proved themselves at lesser schools, or from coaches who promised them more than they could, would provide. 

Could it be the teams out of the top 20 are the proving grounds for the 2* and 3* talent, kind of like a minor league. They then move on to the bigger schools if they pan out and play for pay, which is already happening? We don't know how it will all play out, but it could be interesting as we see some crazy stuff happening.

• Thumbs Up 1