Just Ducky

So Where Do We Stand With Recruiting? Does Anyone Really Know?

With the confusion that the transfer portal is causing it is mind boggling for pretty much every school.  No way of knowing if we can recapture some of these defectors before next year. Kids from all schools are jockeying for position and you can’t blame the kids for the confusion. 

The ducks have had a rough start in the recruiting efforts for 2022 thanks to the timing of MCs defection. Time will tell if we can salvage some of these kids later or even if DL will even want some of them. My guess is we will know a lot more on Feb 2 about the status of our class.

A few things are clear, we don’t know much, how much will NIL destroy college sports, ( mostly football) , will the NCAA do anything to stop the madness ( probably not ) , and will our student athletes be able to figure out what is really happening to them ( I doubt it ).

The next few months are going to be full of joy and heart break so buckle up and hang on, going to be a bumpy ride. 

Enjoy the madness I know now I will.

Go🦆🦆🦆s.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:01 AM, Just Ducky said:

My guess is we will know a lot more on Feb 2 about the status of our class.

Oregon, and other schools will know more on Jan.8, as several top recruits are going to announce their decisions at the All- American Bowl. Kiffin made a good point, in another topic, about how not filling up on LOI's, but looking to the Portal to fill out the roster. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of this won't be cleared up until Lanning fills out his coaching roster.  Most recruits want to know who their potential position coaches are going to be before making a decision.

• Thumbs Up 2

The way I see it, early signing day is going to have to receive some additional consideration from the NCAA. It was a good notion to implement an early signing day to alleviate the stress placed on recruits and coaching staff; however, with the rampant and extravagant salaries being offered to coaches (who are then leaving teams adrift), plus the NIL factor (essentially a salary), plus the transfer portal (essentially free agency), we now have a landscape that has changed from the ESD early implementation.

I think walking away with seven recruits yesterday with all things considered was an excellent haul. I trust that the coaching staff will coalesce and by February 2nd will have the right additions in place and that may very well include plans for student athletes in the transfer portal (this is a factor all coaches will have to begin planning for moving forward).

All of it is way more dynamic than it ever was before. That being said, I feel good with the recruits who signed yesterday and have hope in what will happen over the next month and a half. 

Edited by Principal Duck
  • Thumbs Up 3

When you look at the timeline DL has had to follow in order to get all his working pieces in order, not only did early signing come out smelling like a rose ( pun intended), but should position him for some of the more important targets yet to sign along with a few possible portal prizes he has his eye on.

• Like 1

Lanning’s early signing class beat the rest of the Pac12.  

Has to feel good to get that first win.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:01 AM, Just Ducky said:

With the confusion that the transfer portal is causing it is mind boggling for pretty much every school.  No way of knowing if we can recapture some of these defectors before next year. Kids from all schools are jockeying for position and you can’t blame the kids for the confusion. 

The ducks have had a rough start in the recruiting efforts for 2022 thanks to the timing of MCs defection. Time will tell if we can salvage some of these kids later or even if DL will even want some of them. My guess is we will know a lot more on Feb 2 about the status of our class.

A few things are clear, we don’t know much, how much will NIL destroy college sports, ( mostly football) , will the NCAA do anything to stop the madness ( probably not ) , and will our student athletes be able to figure out what is really happening to them ( I doubt it ).

The next few months are going to be full of joy and heart break so buckle up and hang on, going to be a bumpy ride. 

Enjoy the madness I know now I will.

Go🦆🦆🦆s.

With the portal in place a new approach has to be looked at when it comes to recruiting rankings. An all in roster evaluation is needed once a school via recruiting and through the portal hit the 85 limit (92 in 2022.) For instance, Bama just signed an all SEC DB who entered the portal and transferred to the Tide from LSU. Bama's leading tackler and leading wide receiver in 2021 came respectively, via the portal from Tennessee and Ohio State.

QB Quinn Ewers was the 2021 #1 recruit before he left HS early and signed at Ohio State. A 5* who entered the portal and transferred to Texas. Recruiting-wise, Texas gets no credit for this 5* joining the roster.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:40 AM, kirklandduck said:

A lot of this won't be cleared up until Lanning fills out his coaching roster.  Most recruits want to know who their potential position coaches are going to be before making a decision.

This is just a rumor but I've heard Oregon is in the process of keeping McClendon on staff and hiring Lupoi away from the Jag's I guess. This would be a continued effort to get this incoming staff great or better than Mario's staff. Notice that the only staff to follow Mario was Minnie Me. That doesn't bode well for Cristabal and even though he went back home to sweat. I ville he will end up being fired after year three. I mean he can't figure out that it's a great QB who gets you the wins not a O Line that doesn't punch you in the face when he says that's what will happen.

Look at the scoreboard Coach 76-17 in losses to Utah? That was I think the most embarrassing losses to a second tier team we've ever faced.

I believe Lanning will be the guy that finally gets us over the hump. He has already proven his chops in saving some of this class and by Friday maybe even getting 5 more of this class to stay exactly where they were gonna sign before Mario left. I would presume this class by February will close at around or between 15th to 20th and maybe better because of who ends up coming on board. When they came out with the top 25 classes of the early signing period Miami wasn't there so I presume Mario's words have already started to go stale. LOL and I'm freaking glad. 

His words evidently didn't mean S---. He didn't finish anything and certainly wasn't helping those 3 QBs that sat behind Brown which to me is how can you spend the amount of money in this day and age and not have better teaching of your QBs. That's what we were not used to under Mario and if he'd of used Hebert correctly Justin might have been the number 1 pick instead of the 6th pick. I am glad it worked out for Justin like it did just not the way it ended under Mario in Eugene.

On 12/16/2021 at 12:19 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

This is just a rumor but I've heard Oregon is in the process of keeping McClendon on staff and hiring Lupoi away from the Jag's I guess. This would be a continued effort to get this incoming staff great or better than Mario's staff. Notice that the only staff to follow Mario was Minnie Me. That doesn't bode well for Cristabal and even though he went back home to sweat. I ville he will end up being fired after year three. I mean he can't figure out that it's a great QB who gets you the wins not a O Line that doesn't punch you in the face when he says that's what will happen.

Look at the scoreboard Coach 76-17 in losses to Utah? That was I think the most embarrassing losses to a second tier team we've ever faced.

I certainly hope Lanning is able to keep McClendon on the staff, he's an excellent recruiter and a good WR coach.  I also hope he holds onto Joe Salave'a, Jim Mastro, and Rod Chance at minimum.

Guest KingT

We ended up 11/12 just in front of UW on early signing day. Lost two verbals to Mario, lost a flip to Texas, lost a few others...pretty rough day given that Mario was getting between 7-10 4/5 stars and a fairly full slate of early signees...

On 12/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, KingT said:

We ended up 11/12 just in front of UW on early signing day. Lost two verbals to Mario, lost a flip to Texas, lost a few others...pretty rough day given that Mario was getting between 7-10 4/5 stars and a fairly full slate of early signees...

But not unexpected.  Things should improve once the rest of the coaching staff is settled.