UtahDuck

Oregon football 2020 Rosebowl

In case you didn't see, last night Thomas Graham JR played a pretty good game for the bears in his first start since in a football game since the 2020 Rosebowl.

Rob Moseley with Duck football tweeted out every oregon player on that team that has since played in an NFL football game. That number is currently at 12 but when you add in Thibodeaux, Verdell, Travis Dye and likely Micah Pittman. Oregon will have had likely 16 players make and play in an NFL game.

I think my question at this point is if cristobal had this much NFL talent than how did we not make the playoffs? How did we lose to Auburn, and ASU? Sure, you can blame the play calling from arroyo to some extent, but teams this talented should have beat CAL by more than 10, OSU-14, UW by 4. 

• Thumbs Up 3

People who have talent, can use that talent to succeed by being ambitious, driven and willing to put in the extra work.  Cristobal, did not develop the talent, he allowed some of that talent to flourish on its own.  While his coaching and schemes did not provide the conditions for others talents to be realized and developed.  He was a teacher that told you how to be rather than giving you the tools and knowledge to be the best you could be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Exactly why we won’t miss MC and his staff. 

Herbert was Heisman  material and MC made him look like an average pack 12 QB. No touch on the ball and locked in on primary receivers plus the guy has shone good running ability. All it took was a descent qb coach and some creative offense at the Chargers camp to turn him into an above average QB.

Way to go MC.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:26 PM, Just Ducky said:

Exactly why we won’t miss MC and his staff. 

Herbert was Heisman  material and MC made him look like an average pack 12 QB. No touch on the ball and locked in on primary receivers plus the guy has shone good running ability. All it took was a descent qb coach and some creative offense at the Chargers camp to turn him into an above average QB.

Way to go MC.

In my opinion, all it took was NFL speed to make JH noteworthy.  Go watch his 2017 highlight reel. 

Let me know if you saw open WRs like that in 2018 and 2019- and I'm talking about separation speed here.

The 2019 WR group looked horrible against the two high caliber secondaries they faced in 2019 ( Auburn - 214 Passing yards per game and Wisconsin 187).  

So many scouts criticized JH for his decision making.  I saw an analysis from the 2018 Fusky game ( another excellent secondary with three  Current NFL players from that team).  Herbert wouldn't throw into closing windows in that reel.  Furthermore, even burner Carrington couldn't separate from the stingy Fusky secondary. 

In my arrogant opinion, JH was handicapped by his mediocre set of WRs his last two years.  The kid is a natural.  He doesn't think about ball placement.  I saw a TD pass he threw - to a well covered Charger WR- that was pure confidence in the WR's ability to catch up to his throw.  

He absolutely didn't have that in 2018 or 2019.  Heck, guys barely were open unless they ran crossing patterns, curls, slants or deep outs  (no fades, no post patterns, no seam routes).  

In 2017, Carrington and Charles Nelson ran roughshod on secondaries.  JH would throw into tight windows unconsciously because he knew they would get to the spot he needed to throw to.  

Watch the film.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  I even argued  in 2018 and 2019 that not only would JH flourish in the NFL, but for those exact reasons.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mike West said:

I even argued  in 2018 and 2019 that not only would JH flourish in the NFL, but for those exact reasons.  

And yet Todd McSham gets paid millions by ESPN for his QB analysis!!!

On 12/22/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mike West said:

In my opinion, all it took was NFL speed to make JH noteworthy.  Go watch his 2017 highlight reel. 

Absolutely and that was mostly because of Dillon Mitchell who made it into the NFL, this NFL speed. No idea how well he is doing now but I know he isn't a big name in the NFL so hasn't made the transition.