David Marsh

2020 Heisman Finalists are.... Boring.

Tractor Lawrence, Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, and DeVonta Smith. 

Two Alabama players, Clemson and Florida... This slate of players comes from two conferences and only three teams. 

The playoff has become a farce of an invitational and the Heisman is going the same way. For a while the Heisman has gone to only the best players on the best teams rather than the actual best player. 

Hopefully this is just a result of a chaotic season that has been dominated by media coverage of the SEC and ACC. Though I don't see that changing in future years. 

I completely agree and perhaps the peak of the focus being on just a few teams out of 130 participating? Could this be a tipping point for the public, the fans to insist on change and more equity starting with a Playoff with at least eight teams?

A very disturbing trend no doubt.

We need to get MAD as HECK and not take it anymore!

giphy.gif

Guest Mutts for Mariota

I guess the question for many is how to we implement such sweeping structural changes? We feel impotent on the West Coast as we can not even control our own conference, let alone the national discussion and we do not have competent representation of our interests either.

Trust Me...I'm your man.

Larry Scott_Video.jpg

Beyond even just the west coast where we do have our own problems... But no B1G or Big-12 representation is the more concerning aspect. The PAC started so late we basically eliminated ourselves front the discussion. 

I suppose the argument could be made for the B1G as well... But what about the big-12?

Or even just someone from a g5 school to be present. This isn't about winning the Heisman right now it's about who even gets invited. 

Sadly, unlike the Invitational, I don't see a way to make the Heisman Trophy work anymore. It's just become another ESPN production, with a hand picked cast of characters. It's amazing that Marcus won, though if anything, that shows what a Brand Oregon has forged for itself. 

Unless players get to play in front of large national audiences, they might as well be playing in Pop Warner. Visibility is critical. And both the BIG and the PAC 12 put themselves at a disadvantage to begin with by getting out of the gate late. Still, the level of play is vastly different at some of the brand name schools in a normal year; the pandemic only made things worse. Much as I love the Ducks, their level of play this year is far from elite calibre.

Are the Heisman finalists this year—or in any year—the best among all players on well over 100 teams? It's anyone's guess. But the finalists have definitely drawn a lot of attention during the course of the season. About the best that can be said for what is an inherently unfair situation is that at the very least the finalists didn't screw up while operating in the glare of a very big spotlight.