Jon Joseph

Lighten' Up Jonny It's Only A Game, Even If Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Results In the Same.

I am tired, not less so than any of you reading my 'stuff', of being the Jeremiah Prophet of Pac-12 doom. Especially, expressing same on this great site created by Sir Charles.

As a newer 'prophet,' William Chaucer once said: 'No matter the ladies he adds to his list. No matter the times a knight wins on the list. Like all men, even heroes must stop for a piss."

If folks are OK with the Pac-12 standing still, so be it. If folks believe that the conference as currently exists is a Playoff player, so be it. If folks believe the conference is on the rise, who am I to demur.

It's a game. A game that is meant to be enjoyed.  Whether I believe the conference as exists is a Playoff force: well, it simply doesn't matter.

Looking into the future my crystal ball is as clouded as is any crystal ball. I do not see doing the same 'thing,' and expecting a different result when it comes time to playing ball time in September of 2022, providing a different result. But that's just me.

I view Oregon and USC spending the money to compete at the top level of CFB and the rest of the conference not doing so.  I think 4 power CFB conferences instead of 5 would have been a boon to the Pac- 18/20. But that's just me.

I most fervently hope I am wrong that the Pac-12 is down and will stay down. And that the folks who see the Pac-12 as being 'on the rise,' are right.

I don't see the current Pac-12 yeast turning into Playoff and NY6 bowl bread.  But I possess but one set of eyeballs and one opinion.

So, play ball and let's all enjoy the games.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Speaking for me, I am still somewhat stuck in the mindset of the buttoned-down NCAA era with constant focus on avoiding sanctions, honoring commitments between amateur student-athletes and athletic departments, the bowl system and trying to win with an innovative system to compete with the blue bloods.

The future (present?) is pay-for-play, free agency (portal), brand promotion (facilities/social media), talent acquisition (recruiting) coaching (strategic management) and distribution (conference alignment, media contracts).

I read you as advocating for a balls-out blitzkrieg approach to the new reality.  Makes perfect sense and I agree that it represents the Ducks best course for survival.  Yet it leaves me nostalgic for what was.  

On the other hand, I am too old for 9pm kickoffs and commuting from Portland. So, onward into the breach young Ducklings, call forth the Ducks of war.  I'll wheeze and cheer from my man cave. At least until the final season of Better Call Saul finally airs.

• Thumbs Up 2