30Duck

The Pac-12 has to Act Now

Jon Wilner writes,

The Pac-12 simply cannot match the size, speed and physicality of the players in a sport where size, speed and physicality mean everything, 

image.png.a8bfa4ae30472b9c0e147b5b55db7797.png

If CFP Expansion is Delayed, the Pac-12 Must act Swiftly and Strategically

I can't get into it, so if anyone wanted to summarize...that would be nice.  Thanks.  (Don't copy and paste it!)

Mr. FishDuck

He's got 4 points for the PAC to do once it's determined that expansion won't happen until 2025/26. These will enhance our ability to to make 4 team PO.

#1 Eliminate the divisions. This allows 2 best teams with best records to play for the championship game. 

#2 tweaking the schedule. Moving to 8 league games. To do this it will not be before 23 and hinges on B1G agreement to play us for 9th games. Only way TV would agree to change.

#3 NIL legislation. PAC is at major disadvantage at without control it will only get worse.

#4 Schools ability to borrow money now against the increase of money coming from new TV contracts and or playoff expansion. Money to be used to get better coaches, better facilities etc.

• Thanks 1

The ACC has officially vetoed any playoff expansion until the existing contract expires after the 2026 season.

Hard to bring in recruiting beef when you are up against boosters (morons?) at A+M paying $70M to a group of kids who have not played a down of college football. But based on the Alston decision and many state laws, how can NIL be controlled without a consequent law suit. 

There is no one in control of CFB. The ACC unilaterally just took billions of dollars off the playoff expansion table. There is uncontrolled free agency and under the guise of NIL, uncontrolled pay -for-play.

BTW, without playoff expansion it makes no sense whatsoever to play at Georgia, BYU and 5 additional road games. How many SEC teams play 6 road games? NONE.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't always agree with Wilner, but when I do he "nails it".

On 1/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, ICamel said:

I don't always agree with Wilner, but when I do he "nails it".

I also like Jon. But with playoff expansion now off the table will any of these suggested changes, which I agree with, actually result in Final 4 appearances? Result in the Pac-12 getting more than 1 automatic qualifying team into NY6 bowls?

What I suggest in addition to what Wilner proposes: The conference determines a minimum amount that must be 'invested' in CFB and CBB. Schools that under-invest get less when revenue is dispersed. Same for attendance. If you do not sell xx% of the available seats for your home games you are dinged when revenue is dispersed.

Something needs to be done to get the 'uninterested' Pac-12 schools investing capital and marketing the money ball sports.

• Haha 2

I would like to have seen action a few moths back with the Pac-12 becoming the Pac-20?

On 1/14/2022 at 11:22 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I also like Jon. But with playoff expansion now off the table will any of these suggested changes, which I agree with, actually result in Final 4 appearances? Result in the Pac-12 getting more than 1 automatic qualifying team into NY6 bowls?

What I suggest in addition to what Wilner proposes: The conference determines a minimum amount that must be 'invested' in CFB and CBB. Schools that under-invest get less when revenue is dispersed. Same for attendance. If you do not sell xx% of the available seats for your home games you are dinged when revenue is dispersed.

Something needs to be done to get the 'uninterested' Pac-12 schools investing capital and marketing the money ball sports.

Great points Jon and it's like how far do you want your school to go? Here's the other thing when it's comes to Oregon. I can't imagine how much money Mr Knight has already donated but I 'm sure it's an awful lot. Stack in he is one if not one of the richest doners on the planet. So lets just say that 70 Million was coming our way because it could happen. Does he want to make deals like that because A@M actually wasn't doing that bad in recruiting to begin with and bang 6 or 7 FIVE star players. Now another SEC team building a super star team. Oregon cannot compete if their not doing the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:22 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

I can't imagine how much money Mr Knight has already donated but I 'm sure it's an awful lot. 

Phil & Penny have gifted over a billion dollars to the U of O. 

This was posted in March of 2021, before their second gift of $500 million was announced later in the year.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2021/03/knights-university-of-oregon-donations-push-1-billion-mark-with-new-hayward-field-project.html

And then....

https://www.oregonlive.com/education/2021/07/penny-and-phil-knight-donate-500-million-to-university-of-oregon-research-campus.html

Edited by Krsmqn

On 1/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Great points Jon and it's like how far do you want your school to go? Here's the other thing when it's comes to Oregon. I can't imagine how much money Mr Knight has already donated but I 'm sure it's an awful lot. Stack in he is one if not one of the richest doners on the planet. So lets just say that 70 Million was coming our way because it could happen. Does he want to make deals like that because A@M actually wasn't doing that bad in recruiting to begin with and bang 6 or 7 FIVE star players. Now another SEC team building a super star team. Oregon cannot compete if their not doing the same.

I think PK is far too smart a business person to copy the awash in oil money A+M boosters? Both Saban and Kirby Smart appeared to be 'offended' with what A+M pulled off. Texas followed in its own way with every OL guy starter or not, being 'paid' $50K a season. These schools both draw 100,000+ fans for every home game, will both be SEC schools and are in football mad Texas. 

In a way I'm happy that Phillips and the ACC slowed this playoff expansion roll. Does the Pac-12 and Oregon, or say just Oregon, SC and other conference members that can afford it, want to compete against the SEC at this level of investment? 

As I have noted before, come 2026 I would be more than happy to go back to the old Rose Bowl format with the B1G, and perhaps, adding in the ACC and possibly the B12 into some kind of post season tournament.

I am disappointed that the Pac-12 did not add KS, K ST, OK ST, TX TECH, TCU, BAYLOR, HOUSTON and IOWA ST because 1 P5 competitor would be eliminated and the Pac-20 would have more power at the bargaining table. Now I see Pac-12 top teams more likely to be picked off then I see the conference remaining viable. If the Pac-12 wanted to expand today what's left after Bowlsby resurrected the B12?

Today, comparing what the Pac-12 schools spend on football compared to SEC schools; well,  it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, Krsmqn said:

Phil & Penny have gifted over a billion dollars to the U of O. 

This was posted in March of 2021, before their second gift of $500 million was announced later in the year.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2021/03/knights-university-of-oregon-donations-push-1-billion-mark-with-new-hayward-field-project.html

Remarkable. This money has gone to facility development and academic progress, rightfully so, and not to high school kids to pay (bribe?) them to attend UO. I doubt PK wants to play a direct pay-for-play game with kids who have never played a down of college football? Signing 'a deal' with a KT who has proved it on the field is a logical business investment. 

I can only hope that A(t)M and Jimbo continue to go 8-4 every season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's approach is to make Oregon a desirable destination by offering the best facilities, not just in sports, for student athletes. 

This is the most honorable way to attract the best. No bribes, no pay-for-play, just a great environment. 

I share the sentiment of wanting that to stay the same. 

• Thumbs Up 2