Charles Fischer

Hawaii Job Now Open: Anything to Worry About?

I was wondering if any of you think that any of the assistant coaches at Oregon might want the HC job at Hawaii?

Hawaii Coach Todd Graham Resigns Amid Claims of 'Verbal Abuse' by Players; Cites Family and Health Reasons by David Cobb of CBS Sports

gettyimages-1229724818.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I'd like that job! But I'm thinking the coaches at UW might be more tempted. 

• Haha 1

I would be more worried Graham would be coming here as an assistant 

• Haha 2

That would be a low blow...

The UH job is a tough one and in my opinion, will likely attract either an up and coming coach with ties to Hawai'i or an established coach with ties to Hawai'i who doesn't need the money. Timmy Chang? Rich Miano? June Jones? Tony Tuioti? Some assistants from UCLA?

Graham was only making $800,00/yr. UH doesn't have the cash to be competitive with Power Five schools. And has to pony up thousands in travel subsidies to visiting teams.

The off-campus stadium was condemned and a new one is supposed to be built. Though with the politics around here, who knows when that will happen. In the meantime, there's a small 9,000 seat stadium on campus that the governor has only recently begun allowing spectators at less than capacity because of COVID.

In addition, a new coach will have to deal with a meddling legislature

https://www.khon2.com/sports/local-sports/another-call-for-investigation-on-uh-athletics-by-senate-committee-on-ways-and-means/

and a decimated team with about 22 players in the transfer portal or already transferred.

It's a mess.

• Thanks 1