Charles Fischer

I am Surprised, Disappointed with Mens/Womens Basketball

Being in the top 25 is nice, but I thought both teams were going to kill-it this year, and my optimism going into their seasons was sky-high.  But the men losing at home to a so-so Colorado team, and the women losing to ASU? 

Not what I thought would happen.

But I love both coaches and support them and the teams regardless.  And I'll make fun where I can...especially with the damn Huskies coming to town this week.

Payton Pritchard's three lifts No. 8 Oregon over Washington - Los Angeles  Times

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Both M/W teams have talent, but seem to lack toughness and effort at times.

Both teams rely on shooters, and suffer slumps against tough D.

I hope the coaches are able to get more out of the teams in league tournaments to get ready for the dance.

Edited by Duck1984

Altman and Graves need to agree to hire someone to coach the bigs -- men's and women's.  I never seen two teams that miss more two footers and who consistently lose the ball in the paint.  Painful to watch.

• Thumbs Up 3

The most disappointing game of the season so far was the one just completed, not the worst, that's still the Men's game against BYU. But the Women were coming off the loss to Arizona, and still came out flat. More than any other thing, Oregon was outhustled by ASU.

How could ASU have"wanted" that game more?

• Thumbs Up 2

Duck women looked very tired to me yesterday.  That was their 8th game in 22 days.  The UConn game on a Monday, rescheduled ASU last Tuesday, then failed charter on Thursday, plus late departure Friday for Tucson all contributed to reduced playing time.

Pao Pao and Sabally both are not in great physical shape because of injuries.

Another make-up at WSU Tuesday is not going to bode well for Beaver double this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

WBB:  We've discussed in another forum, was KG looking better with Sabrina/Ruthie/Satou than his X-O or motivational skills?  I don't know if people understand just how amazing those players were, Sabrina especially...generational talent. 

Now, five 5* players, Dugalic transferred already (played little), TeHina is good when she is good but streaky, Maddie and Sydney start but have been completely unproductive, check the box scores.  Rogers and Sabally have carried the team, but as someone else mentioned, same with MBB, so many missed layups and 2 foot shots, so many fumbles in the paint, so many turnovers.  WIth WBB, it's not just the bigs.  Sedona, BTW, has played limited minutes for a month and little production, missing the 12 to 16 footers she used to hit.  Yesterday she had a good first half.

Are all these 5 stars mostly over-rated?  I forgot Kylie Watson, she has played sparingly.  Or is KG not as a good of a coach without a couple generational players?  Or does this team just fail to execute, like late in the game yesterday, not boxing out on the free throw miss?

Oh, and the free throw shooting, both Men's and Women's.  Don't understand the men's collapse against Utah, or Colorado when we lost at home.  I get the injuries for the women and hectic travel schedule, but something else doesn't add up.

I'm more disappointed in the men, than the women.  The guys haven't been hit nearly as hard with injuries as the women.  I think our women have had maybe 5 games with a full team.  Losing to ASU is not good, but they are firmly in March Madness.  The men according to ESPN are in, but literally the last team in.

• Thumbs Up 1