30Duck

What Position Group Was The Best In 2020? The Worst?

It wasn't all bad for the two time conference champs was it?

Interesting article that has good information, but I really disagree with the ranking given to the defensive line.  I felt it was much worse than their ranking, and had they played to their potential...it would have taken pressure off the newbie linebackers and secondary.

Jordon Scott_Tom Corno.jpg

They played much better in 2019, IMHO....

Mr. FishDuck

Honestly... Best position group... Receivers and tight ends. Solid blocking and they performed well when the ball was thrown their way. 

Worst position group... Safeties for most of the season. So much room to easily throw the ball. 3rd and long was dreadful as teams regularly converted in those situations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

3rd and long was dreadful as teams regularly converted in those situations. 

I agree, Safeties was a bad group, but the 3d & long problem was not unique to last season. I'm not just talking about the infamous 3rd & 16 against ASU.  3rd & long has been just where the other team wanted to be for a long time. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

The defensive line ranking is wayyy off to me. Other than KT I have them down with the QBs and special teams. I was very disappointed with Jordon Scott. Austin Faoliu for most of the season was also sub par. 
KT: some people are focusing on the sack numbers but his game was much better this year. More well rounded, monster against the run, got lots of pressure and QB hits, and a few of the team’s rare sacks were his doing. 
Jordon: might as well have not shown up. Lost 20 pounds, 100 pounds of strength, and looked as slow as ever. 

Austin Faoliu: never seen a guy get easier to block as a senior. 
Brandon Dorlus: A bright spot and I have great hopes for him. Who would have thought the Ge’Mon Eaford recruitment would yield Dorlus becoming good instead? Had some whiffs on tackles, but the potential is there. 
Kristian Williams: potential there, excited for him and think he should have been used more by the coaches. 
Keyon Ware-Hudson: have you ever read The Invisible Man? Very good book. KWH is on the other hand is not a good DT thus far and he is pretty much invisible.

Best position group? WRs. Not enough touches to go around. Compared to the poverty at the position just a few years ago this was quite the surprise. Redd, JJIII, Williams, and Pittman were all good. Delgado and Hutson have potential. Shough was bailed out a lot by the group making great catches. Extremely excited for year 2 of Devon Williams. 

• Like 1

Hard to pick a winner when no group came over the finish line, and a 4 way tie for last place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

Hard to pick a winner when no group came over the finish line, and a 4 way tie for last place. 

Definitely felt that way on the whole... there were times where I would say different groups were doing better than others. I mean the offensive line looked great until the last few games. Quarterback even looked good until the last few games.

On the flip side... the defensive line and the linebackers looked pretty bad until the last few games... and same goes for the secondary.

On the whole NO position group looked good for the entire year and all left a sour taste in our collective mouths. I actually think the runningbacks were the most consistent group ... but that doesn't mean I think they were good because I don't think they were. They just seemed to underachieve at a consistent pace for the most part.

15 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

They just seemed to underachieve at a consistent pace for the most part.

OK....for a dour analysis--that was pretty funny!

I love your posts David, as you are very thoughtful.

Mr. FishDuck