FamilyofDucks

Coach Lanning Makes a STRATEGIC HIRE to His Staff

and it looks like a very strategic add.

Kansas City is a hotbed for talent now and over the next few years.

Rival recruiters have certainly noticed the Oregon push into Kansas City.

“They have recruited Kansas City before, but never like this,” a veteran Big 12 coach told On3. “The high school coaches in the area love Coach Lanning. Coach Jones is one of the most respected coaches in the area, too. So, I fully expect them to be a thorn in the side for a lot of us local coaches.”

The recruiter is right. A number of the top juniors in Kansas City have gushed about their talks with Lanning. Many are interested in visiting Eugene.

“Distance will certainly be a factor with some kids,” another Big 12 recruiter told On3. “But with all the KC connections and bells and whistles that Oregon has to sell, it’s going to be tough to compete with.”

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

GREAT find FamilyofDucks!  Thanks to you and ALL who post articles!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

It sure seems like Coach Lanning has a plan and is putting it all together. I look forward to seeing more than just the outline of something special. He does seem to be putting together all the ingredients for a masterpiece, at least at this point. Now, how long before it all comes together?

I doubt I could find any text evidence to back me up on this, but I think that the standard wisdom for most of college football history went like this:

If a coach is hired from across the country, he had better hire staff from the local area in order to recruit well; for coaches at schools like UO or OSU, that would also mean hiring people with Washington and California contacts.

I think for programs at the highest level these days, it's become more like what we see here:

If a coach is hired from across the country, he should hire some with local ties but also focus on developing 'local ties' in recruiting hotbeds which might be several time zones away.

Probably I am not saying anything new here, but I do feel like it's been a shift in mindset over the last couple decades! Seems like we have a coach who is following the new paradigm.

• Thumbs Up 2