30Duck

No.1 JUCO Scorer to be a Duck Next Season

10594783.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Future Oregon Duck men's basketball player Tyrone Williams has finished up his junior college career at Grayson College in Texas...

• Thumbs Up 1

He better shoot better than 61% from the charity line or I would seldom even take him off the bench. If you can't make free throws, you are a small role player, should be the mantra next year.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/7/2022 at 4:12 PM, Haywarduck said:

He better shoot better than 61% from the charity line or I would seldom even take him off the bench. If you can't make free throws, you are a small role player, should be the mantra next year.

And that was preseason - in conference play, he dipped well below 60%.

If I was coach I would say if you can't make over 60% you have to shoot granny style. That may put some effort into a skill that reflects the overall game we see on the court like nothing else. Sadly the game has become dunks and 3 point shots with little focus on the other skills.

Unknown-2.jpeg

• Haha 1

The key element about free throw shooting is that it's NOT primarily about athletic ability, shooting form or physical skills. It's mainly about mental focus. And, when you find guys who have that mental focus--particularly at the end of games--you have guys who ultimately are winners. Frankly, I think it's too simple to just say that teams who have good free throw shooters are apt to win more games. I think it's MORE true that teams who have guys who have strong mental discipline and focus--as evidenced by making foul shots, not throwing weak passes, cutting hard to get open, and generally keeping a cool head as the pressure mounts--are more likely to be winners. The Ducks have had quite a few of those teams in recent years. And, sadly, that makes this year's team stand out in a bad way. 

Note: I HATE to put any of this on Will Richardson because I think he's done everything he can possibly do to become a leader of this team. Unfortunately, he lacks quickness. He has everything else required of a "go to" player except quickness. I still love the guy. He has some incredibly deceptive moves near the basket and his attitude is absolutely rock solid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree Richardson is who he is, and mainly he is a Duck for life, love the guy!

• Like 1