Charles Fischer

Gritty Ducks Fight Back and Embarrass the 'Furd: Unbelievable Upset!

My FishDuck Friends, for all the frustrating victories that Stanford has over Oregon....this one really stings them.  The ERA of the Cardinal pitching staff was unreal, below 2.00 each coming into this series, and they were ranked between No. 2 and No. 5 on the different polls after beating No. 2 Arkansas last week.  You could see the cockiness they had in their body language as, "this is just Oregon."

I am floored at the player growth between the pitching and hitting.  Down 9-3 and winning the game?  That never happens, and this batting line-up believes in Coach Waz and what they can do.  Heck...I checked out at 9-3, and came back just in time to see the comeback.  This team is on a growth track....whew!  I have more to say, but believe in this team!

Comeback Gives Ducks Series Win Over No. 2 Stanford

STANFORD, Calif. — Oregon battled back from a six-run third-inning deficit to hand Stanford a 16-13 loss and clinch the series win on Saturday at Sunken Diamond.

The Ducks’ six through nine hitters in the order combined for nine hits, 12 RBI and nine runs scored in the win.

Junior second baseman Gavin Grant, who went 3-for-5 with a career-high four RBI, had a two-out RBI triple to pull the Ducks within one in the fifth inning before delivering a two-out, three-RBI double in the top of the eighth to cap Oregon’s six-run inning and give the Ducks a 14-9 lead.

“It was nice, just staying simple and staying with my approach,” Grant said. “Low through the middle. It worked today, just keep grinding and keep going.”

Jack Scanlon - Baseball - University of Oregon Athletics

Catcher Jack Scanlon has been a batting liability until recently...

Sophomore catcher Jack Scanlon, who went 2-for-4 with three runs scored and matched a career high with four RBI, hit a huge three-run home run in the top of the second to give the Ducks life before driving in a crucial eighth-inning run with a bases loaded hit-by-pitch.

“I’m just trying to do whatever I can to help my team out,” Scanlon said. “It just so happened to be a home run. I’m lucky that it was. It doesn’t matter how ugly it is, a win is a win.”

How It Happened: Stanford didn’t waste any time jumping on Oregon starter Isaac Ayon. The first four batters reached on hits, with three of those going for extra bases. Carter Graham capped the scoring with a three-run home run to give the Cardinal a 4-0 lead after one.

Oregon answered quickly in the top of the second. Scanlon blasted a 3-run home run over the scoreboard in right-center field to cut the lead to one. Anthony Hall started the rally, moving to third on a Sam Novitske single down the third-base line.

Stanford (8-5, 0-2 Pac-12) responded with four runs in its half of the inning. Ayon surrendered three straight walks to lead off the inning and the Cardinal took advantage. Graham ran his RBI total to five on the day with a two-run double, while Kody Huff and Braden Montgomery both delivered RBI singles. Huff drove in another run in the third for a 9-3 lead.

Oregon got one back in the fourth. Scanlon reached on his second hit of the day with one out, before moving to second on a Grant hit and third on a fielder’s choice off the bat of Tanner Smith. Scanlon then scored on a wild pitch to cut the lead to 9-4.

Team Handshake

Oregon’s bullpen slowed the Cardinal offense giving the Ducks a chance to come back. Logan Mercado tossed two scoreless innings, while Rio Britton added 1.2 innings without allowing a run.

That’s all the Oregon (10-5, 2-0 Pac-12) offense would need. The Ducks cut the lead to one with a four-run fifth inning. Brennan Milone reached base on a Cardinal error to lead off the inning. After a strikeout, Josh Kasevich walked to put runners at first and third.

Anthony Hall plated both Milone and Kasevich with a two-RBI double before moving to third on a fielding error by Stanford right fielder Braden Montgomery. Sam Novitske followed with a RBI single to cut the lead to 9-8.

Neither team scored in the sixth or seventh, before Oregon broke it open with a six-run eighth inning while sending 10 batters to the plate.

Smith singled to lead off the inning and moved to second on a Colby Shade sacrifice bunt. After Milone walked, freshman Jacob Walsh tied the game scoring Smith with a RBI single. The Ducks took the lead when the next hitter, Kasevich singled to plate Milone.

2022 Draft: Anthony Hall, OF | 12/11/2021 | MLB.com

Anthony Hall

Hall walked to load the bases, and after a fielder’s choice forced Walsh at home, Scanlon picked up a RBI with a bases-loaded hit-by-pitch. Grant broke it open with a three-run double to give Oregon a 14-9 lead.

The Ducks added two insurance runs in the top of the ninth. Kasevich struck out which should have ended the inning, but the ball got away from Stanford catcher Kody Huff who then threw the ball off Kasevich for an error allowing Shade to score from second.

Hall picked up his third RBI with a single scoring Kasevich.

Box Score Notes: Oregon scored double-digit runs for the sixth time this season … The Ducks clinched a Pac-12 opening series win for the fifth time in the last 14 seasons … The series win marks the third time the Ducks have opened the Pac-12 season with a road series win joining the 2013 (at USC) and 2017 teams (at California) … Oregon has never gone 3-0 in a Pac-12 opening series, home or away … Every Duck starter had at least one hit, with six having multi-hit games including Grant’s team-best three hits … Seven of Oregon’s starters scored a run with one scoring two runs and four others scoring three runs … Six of the nine starters drove in at least one run, with Grant and Scanlon leading the way with four RBI and Hall added three … Britton (2-0) picked up his second win of the season … Mercado had a season-high three Ks.

Up Next: Oregon will look for the series sweep with the Ducks and Cardinal meet at 12:05 on Sunday.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Fellow Duck fans, this win, the taking of the series, can NOT be overstated! Stanford was No.2 when the Ducks came in and took the first game, 4-3. After that I thought that Stanford would be angry and, they scored 4 in the first inning of game 2, and that looked like it was done, then they went up even more.

But these are "Fightin' Ducks!. They tied it up and then exploded, and end up winning 16-13. Great plays and players everywhere. The play by Scanlon to get the 3rd out at home to end the 6th was amazing, and he and other Ducks did damage at the plate as well, and the pitching, and Oregon is at the top in the country at turning double plays, again, AMAZING!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Never quit. Go Ducks Fly High