Charles Fischer

Ducks Beat USF in 11 Innings!

Wowsa.  A 4-3 win from Gavin Grant tying the first base bag.

Mr. FishDuck

Ducks clawing back from a two run deficit in the bottom of the 3rd inning;

Bryce Boettcher drew a leadoff walk.

Tanner Smith with a flyout to right field advances Boettcher to second base.

Colby Shade walks on four straight balls.

Brennan Milone singled to left field, scoring Boettcher and moving Shade to second base.

Jacob Walsh reaches first on a fielders choice with Shade forced out at third and Milone moving to second base.

Josh Kasevich singled up the middle which Milone scores on. The throw to home allows Walsh to advance to third and Kasevich to second base.

Anthony Hall flied out to right field to end the 3rd inning.

2 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors, 2 LOB

Oregon 2 – San Francisco 2 after 3 innings.

Caleb Sloan comes in to pitch for Oregon in the top of the 4th inning and sets the Don’s batters down in order on a ground out and two strikeouts.

0 Runs, 0 Hits, 0 Errors, 0 LOB

Sam Novitske grounded out to the third baseman to start the bottom of the 4th.

Jack Scanlon lined out to first for out number two.

Bryce Boettcher tries to get on base with a bunt down the third base line but is thrown out at first.

Ducks 2 – Dons 2 after four innings.

Caleb Sloan with another masterful inning from the mound. Three up, three down, on a ground out, strike out, and fly out.

Tanner Smith flied out to shallow center in the bottom of the 5th inning.

Colby Shade drew a walk, which prompts a pitching change for San Francisco.

Brennan Milone gets his swings in but two fouls and a swinging miss result in out number two.

Jacob Walsh ends the bottom of the 4th inning with a fly out to left field.

0 Runs, 0 Hits, 0 Errors, 1 LOB

Oregon 2 – SF 2 after five innings.

In the top of the 6th inning Logan Mercado comes on in relief of Caleb Sloan and immediately gets into a jam giving up a leadoff double to center right field.

Mercado almost gets out of the inning, but two out RBI single gives San Francisco a one run lead heading to the bottom half of the frame.

1 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors, 1 LOB

Josh Kasevich grounds out to shortstop for Oregon in the bottom of the 6th.

Anthony Hall with a little squibber back to the pitcher for out number two.

Sam Novitske ends the inning with foul, called strike, and swinging strike.

Ducks 2 – Dons 3

Edited by ICamel

Dylan Sabia in to pitch against the Dons to start the top half of the 7th inning.

Sabia sets the SF batters down in order.

A little 7th inning stretch trivia for you.

Oregon and OregonState both have a player with the same first/last name. What/who is it?

Josiah Cromwick flied out to center field in the bottom of the 7th inning.

Ditto for Bryce Boettcher.

Tanner Smith with a long fly out to center right.

Score remains Oregon 2 – San Francisco 3

Hint on the trivia question: He was at bat this inning.

Dylan Sabia still on the mound for Oregon in the top half of the 8th inning.

After a strike out and a walk, Matt Dallas comes in to pitch for our Ducks.

Coach Wasikowski isn’t afraid to go with his bullpen as Dallas is the sixth pitcher of record this afternoon. Dallas promptly gets out of the top of the inning with a short to second to first base double play.

Colby Shade with a swinging strike out in the bottom of the 8th.

Brennan Milone struck out on three pitches.

Jacob Walsh with the third out on a fly to left field.

Ducks 2 – Dons 3

Trivia Answer: Both Oregon and OSU have a Tanner Smith.

Three up, three down for Matt Dallas in the top of the 9th inning.

Josh Kasevich to start things out for the Ducks, and he singles to center field! Runner on first with no outs.

Anthony Hall hits the first pitch to right field. Runners on the corners! Pitching change for San Francisco.

Sam Novitske looks at for straight balls to load the bases for Oregon and no outs!

Josiah Cromwick hit into a double play, second to short to first, but Kasevich scores to tie the game. Winning run ninety feet from home plate with two outs.

Gavin Grant draws a four pitch walk.

Pitching change with Tanner Smith at bat for our Ducks.

Grant stole second base.

Tanner Smith with a line drive into center right that the Dons center fielder makes a sliding catch to rob Smith of a game winning RBI.

Oregon has tied the game in the bottom of the 9th inning!

1 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors, 2 LOB

Oregon 3 – San Francisco 3

On to extra innings

Matt Dallas still pitching for our Ducks, and he walks the first batter. The runner is erased trying to steal second base. The next two batters become outs.

Colby Shade flied out to right field.

Brennan Milone flied out to right field.

Jacob Walsh flied out to center field.

Tied at 3-3 after 10 innings.

Matt Dallas again walks the leadoff batter.

A bunt erases the lead runner at second base.

Pop up to second base, two out.

Fly out to right field ends the top half of the 11th inning.

0 Runs, 0 Hits, 0 Errors, 1 LOB

Josh Kasevich leads off for Oregon in the bottom of the 11th, and he puts a runner in scoring position for the Ducks with a double to left field!

Anthony Hall walks on a 3-2 count. Runners a second and first base with nobody out.

Sam Novitske strikes out swinging for out number one.

Josiah Cromwick ground out to short, with the runners Kasevich and Hall advancing to third and second respectively.

Gavin Grant with an RBI single to the second baseman. Grant legged out the throw to first base, with Kasevich scoring on the play.

On the replay it appeared that Grant might have been out.

But that is the way the old pickle squirts.

Ducks take the series 2-0 with a 4-3 win in the bottom of the 11th inning!

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

I was watching the game live and on that final play, I thought, "Damn, he's out."  After seeing the replay, I thought, "I'm glad there's no replay review in college baseball." Grant was clearly out, and it wasn't even close. Perhaps the funniest part of the game was hearing Joey Mac declare several times that Grant beat the play out, when he saw the same replay that all of us did. 

An impartial fan, not me, would say that the Dons deserved a better fate. It could be that the first-base ump has something against the Corleones. For his sake, I hope he doesn't own a prize racehorse. 

On 3/30/2022 at 8:00 PM, Axel said:

I was watching the game live and on that final play, I thought, "Damn, he's out."  After seeing the replay, I thought, "I'm glad there's no replay review in college baseball." Grant was clearly out, and it wasn't even close. Perhaps the funniest part of the game was hearing Joey Mac declare several times that Grant beat the play out, when he saw the same replay that all of us did. 

An impartial fan, not me, would say that the Dons deserved a better fate. It could be that the first-base ump has something against the Corleones. For his sake, I hope he doesn't own a prize racehorse. 

As an 'impartial' fan I say: SCOREBOARD!

Because this is a family site I have nothing to say in regards to head; equine or otherwise.

At 1:43 in the video below is the replay, but I cannot run it in slow motion--even then the angle is bad.  It looks like it was a tie?

Who's on First.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Ducks Walk it Off in 11 Innings

EUGENE, Ore. — Gavin Grant beat out an infield single with two outs in the bottom of the 11th inning Wednesday to drive in Josh Kasevich and give the Oregon baseball team a 4-3 victory over San Francisco at PK Park.

The Ducks (18-7) never led in Wednesday’s game until Kasevich scored the winning run as Grant was called safe on a bang-bang play at first base. The UO bullpen pitched nine innings of one-run baseball and Oregon’s offense forced extra innings with a run in the bottom of the ninth before Grant’s walk-off hit in the 11th.

Oregon next plays Friday at UCLA and will enter that series in first place in the Pac-12, having won eight of the last nine games. The Ducks took two of three at home from USC this past weekend before sweeping two midweek games with USF.

“You go from a stressful Pac-12 weekend to, boom, now all of a sudden first week of classes (of spring term at the university), and now you’re playing two games during the midweek,” UO coach Mark Wasikowski. “All the excuses built in, and the guys still find a way to win. Sometimes it’s not pretty, and at the end of the day I don’t think anybody’s gonna care at the end of the year. It’s gonna be a win instead of a loss, and that’s the objective: to win the game. And we did.”

Gavin Grant Jube

How It Happened: Scott Ellis made a spot start for the Ducks and only made one significant mistake, though it was driven over the right-field fence for a two-run home run in the second inning. Oregon tied it up in the third on an RBI single by Brennan Milone and another by Kasevich.

Caleb Sloan bounced back from a rocky start Sunday against USC by pitching scoreless fourth and fifth innings Wednesday. The Dons (14-14) took the lead with a run in the sixth, but Dylan Sabia and Matt Dallas combined on five scoreless innings the rest of the way to give Oregon’s hitters a chance.

Some long swings resulted in several flyball outs as the game wore on, but the Ducks shortened it up in the ninth. Kasevich and Anthony Hall led off with singles, Sam Novitske walked to load the bases and Kasevich came home on a double-play ball to tie it, 3-3.

Dallas allowed leadoff walks in both the 10th and 11th innings, but he ended up facing the minimum over 3.2 innings. In the bottom of the 11th, Kasevich led off with a double and Hall followed with a walk. The next two hitters were retired, but Grant — who entered Wednesday’s game as a defensive replacement in the ninth inning— beat out a Baltimore chop to score Kasevich and the celebration was on.

“The coaches do a great job of getting everyone ready to play in practice, and just keeping that mentality,” said Grant, who also provided a walk-off win for the Ducks when he homered against UCSB on March 4. “And I think our bullpen really kept us in the game the whole day.”

Matt Dallas

Matt Dallas

On The Mound: Dallas (2-1) lowered his ERA to 2.60 for the season, completing two or more innings in an appearance for the first time this spring. He got the ball from Sabia, who set down four in a row before allowing a walk in the eighth, a baserunner erased when Dallas got the next hitter to ground into a double play.

Among the most encouraging points of the day was the top of the third, when Andrew Mosiello made his first appearance for the Ducks since March 5. Sidelined since by a back issue, Mosiello struck out the first two hitters he faced, walked the next two during a brief rain squall, then got out of the inning.

“He’s a guy who was the glue last year to the back end of that bullpen, and handed the ball off to (Kolby) Somers and really had the toughest innings of the year for us in the bullpen,” Wasikowski said. “I imagine he’ll be back in the bullpen, in a role probably he was familiar with from last year, that’s what he was really successful with.”

At The Plate: Kasevich got his average up to .350 with his fifth three-hit game of the season. For much of the game he was the only consistent bright spot in the lineup, until the Ducks were able to string together productive at-bats in the late innings.

“With our offense, you kind of go back to the dugout thinking we’re going to put up some runs, coming in and out after every inning,” Dallas said. “So, a lot of trust and confidence in those guys.”

Up Next: The Ducks open a three-game series at UCLA on Friday at 6 p.m.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck