30Duck

A Look and Learn on Georgia's Defense

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thanks 30duck that was a great clip of the Georgia defense and how they handle a scrambling quarterback.   This kind of stuff gets me pumped!

• Thumbs Up 2

UO’s entire linebacker crew must of felt like they woke up in heaven when Lanning came to town.

I can not wait to see this D going pedal to the metal on 3 rd down. Too bad KT is gone this year. He’d probably have twenty sacks and go number one overall if he stayed.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

That was very interesting, thanks for sharing. Of course one of the keys that he alludes to a couple times in that talk is that it requires a defensive line which is good enough that a three man rush can make sure the pocket gets 'broke' and that they keep the inside of the line bottled up.

When I watched it, the right defensive end commanded a guard and a tackle to keep him out, the nose occupied the center and guard, and the other end beat the right tackle one on one to get inside and flush out the qb. If the defensive linemen are not so good, and the offensive line can keep them bottled up, the quarterback can just stand back there and make an unhurried throw while the spy waits for him to break to the outside.

Having multiple first round picks playing on your defensive line gives you the ability to make that work, which is more argument for the need to try to find those rare types of players.

The experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a similar concept to what I remember as an old idea, which is the spy would wait for a short time to see if the pocket breaks down or the quarterback starts running the ball. After a couple counts, if it looks like the rush isn't getting to the QB, the spy comes in on what amounts to a delayed blitz, looking for whatever hole has opened up in the pocket to get pressure on the QB.