Charles Fischer

Oregon Tied for Most Starters Returning in Pac-12

Even more than Utah?

kylewhittingham_2021_usatoday.jpg
ATHLONSPORTS.COM

Examining returning starter data and its potential impact on the Pac-12 for the 2022 college football season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is always stat that gets noticed. It's great if the team had a good season the year before, but if that year was a struggle, it could be problematic. 

Oregon and Utah are positioned to do well again with the talent coming back.  I think Oregon has the edge on offense based on who comes back.  5 returning OL for the Ducks and Utah loses their best 2.  New QB at Oregon, but should be an upgrade and I would count as a returning starter - just at Auburn.  

Defense may be more even with both losing their best players.  Injuries for both teams on defense last year makes this a little hard to call.  

On 4/8/2022 at 12:19 PM, 30Duck said:

This is always stat that gets noticed. It's great if the team had a good season the year before, but if that year was a struggle, it could be problematic. 

And this is big part of the SP+ rankings. I agree 30, quantity means nothing if the guys do not improve from year to year.

One really big question for the Utes? Will the transfer LB from Florida, who had a very good season for the Gators last year, come anywhere close to playing at Lloyd's level? Lloyd will be a 1st round draft pick.

I know the Utes was down 2 starting CBs in the Rose Bowl, but saying their replacements were lit up is underrating the inferno that was the Utah pass D vs Ohio State. The Ducks DL + LBs did a far better job putting pressure on the Buckeyes QB than did the Utes. And this was without Flowe and KT.

Oregon was simply mentally off the rails the 2 times the Ducks played the Utes last season. Off the rails from the HC on down. When you know the HC has quit on you why shouldn't you quit? Let's not forget that Oregon State, San Diego State and BYU beat Utah in the 2021 regular season.

Based on everything we have heard in the off season, Charles' question hits the bullseye. I too am surprised to see the Ducks returning more starters than is Utah. It's easy to forget how young Oregon was in 2021 and the Ducks will still be a young team in 2022 with lots of room for improved play.

• Thumbs Up 2