Jon Joseph

Georgia Offense Impressive in Spring Game

The Georgia spring game was played yesterday. All American TE, Brock Bowers from Napa, CA, was dinged and not able to play. 

But LSU TE transfer, Arik Gilbert, 6'5" 248 pounds stepped up and caught 2 TD passes from returning national champ winning QB, Stetson Bennett.

Barret Sallee of CBS Sports post game take - "When you have TEs like Bowers, Gilbert and Washington in the mix with UGA's versatile backfield and WR corps, the O should be much better and more balanced than last season's. In other words, 'get your popcorn ready." Sallee could also have mentioned Bennett returning at QB and an experienced OL. Wow!

Lots of turnover on the UGA DL but the O should be solid indeed. As tough a test as the Ducks D could face in the opening game.

Beavers? The QB play for OR ST yesterday was inconsistent at best.

Not as germane to the Ducks in 2022, but in its spring game, the Bama OL looked like it has the same problems it had in 2021. Heisman winner QB Young was rarely given time to set up and throw the ball. Also, the tOSU D looked improved but needs to make additional improvement. But the O sans Wilson and Olave at WR, still looked lethal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Spring games seem to be a bit like All-Star games, no one going 100%, more beauty contestesque than real football.

But a nice reward for the teams and fans.

It will be interesting to see what the fan totals are for the big boys.

Keep it going Kirby, I want my second favorite team to be as good as it can be, especially starting game 2. I love an offense that includes a TE. I still have nightmares about what Gronk did to the Ducks. Stetson doesn't have a future in the NFL that I can see, or the Heisman. But he might be the starting QB on back to back national champs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, Steven A said:

Spring games seem to be a bit like All-Star games, no one going 100%, more beauty contestesque than real football.

But a nice reward for the teams and fans.

It will be interesting to see what the fan totals are for the big boys.

Will Gilbert, who has an 'interesting' CFB journey to date, UF to LSU, back to UF and then back to LSU where he did not play. Will he show up on 9/3?