Steven A

Spring Game Review from Georgia 24/7 Reporter

If you are a 24/7 VIP subscriber, check out Jordan D. Hill's article on the Dawgs 24/7 site.

Otherwise, here is a summary of some of his observations....

QB play: one thing that stood out was how much play-action the Ducks ran when No. 10 was on the field. Will that be the case come September? Who knows, but it will certainly be something to watch out for.

On the whole he looked good, though the pick sure does feel like the type of mistake he made far too often in three years at Auburn.

Nix’s running ability is a key part of his game, but that aspect of his play wasn’t on display based upon the QB rules they were playing

RB play: I what I saw from Noah Whittington.  

Other players mentioned: Seven McGee; Chase Cota deserves a shoutout; DJ Johnson is a Duck you’ll want to remember come September.

In regard to 9 sacks: a big part of the issue was that what would have been the starting offensive line was split between the two teams, combined with the QBs’ inability to really scramble to keep plays alive leads me to tell Georgia fans to take those sacks allowed with a grain of salt.

In all: Multiple receivers capable of making plays and a defense with some impressive players.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/25/2022 at 5:33 PM, Steven A said:

On the whole he looked good, though the pick sure does feel like the type of mistake he made far too often in three years at Auburn.

THIS is the rub. Can he stop himself from throwing the ball into double and triple coverage? Also, will his ankle be fully healed?

He is The Guy who gives the Ducks a shot against the Dawgs. The stadium in Atlanta vs Georgia? He has been there, done this. 0-3 to date. Now he needs the Puddles magic to go 1-3 vs an inexperienced UGA D,

And the D will need to hold down a terrific UGA O.

On 4/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, Jon Joseph said:

THIS is the rub. Can he stop himself from throwing the ball into double and triple coverage?

The Classic "Favre Syndrome" There is no excuse for it really. Logic says if a receiver is in double or triple coverage, the other receivers are wide open. Favre was exciting and threw a lot of TD passes. But think how many more he'd have had if he'd thrown to one of the wide open guys more often?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, 30Duck said:

The Classic "Favre Syndrome"

Montana had it too.  After his back surgery, they took most of the over-the-middle routes out of the playbook.  Seemed to work.

On 4/25/2022 at 6:32 PM, Steven A said:

Montana had it too. 

I didn't have Montana in Favre's "Gunslinger" club. Congrats, Joe. 

I won’t bad mouth Bo for one simple reason, two maybe. He beat Herbert as a freshman, I still blame that loss on the coaching staff. He was Sec freshman standout. Ok there are many. He beat Alabama and many other SEC teams when Auburn’s coaching staff was a mess. But most of all he will be Oregon’s starter at Atlanta with a boat load of talented kids quite capable of beating anyone and till he proves he’s not the guy then he is the guy. Let’s get behind him because you know our coaches will.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/25/2022 at 9:32 PM, Steven A said:

Montana had it too.  After his back surgery, they took most of the over-the-middle routes out of the playbook.  Seemed to work.

Spot on. But Montana had the lesser arm but the far better head than did Favre. 

Bo has the Favre moxie. But the Joe Montana head?

• Thumbs Up 1