Coach Eric Boles

Running Backs Ran Better in the Spring Game than it Seems

If you look at just the combined net rushing yards between both teams, it would seem like the RBs only rushed for 79 yards.

But the college football, for some reason, still counts sacks against the rushing numbers instead of against the passing. 

If you take away the sacks, the RBs rushed for 153 yards on 26 carries, which is good for 5.88 yards per carry.

That’s not bad for a game where passing was the emphasis. 

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

And the sacks were touch sacks which seem to create a greater loss of yards than real sacks because the player is dead where the QB is standing. Often a quarterback would take a small hit and run or throw the ball away or something other than just being down.

What I liked the most is that some of those run plays went for good yards and it didn't feel like raw luck there a defender missed a tackle but the run was designed to spring the runningback free. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

There was at least one big pass play called back too. The rule for the game was right, you gotta keep guys healthy. Definitely skewed the numbers though.

What was missing from last season was what many of us said all season. "A win is a win, but I know what I saw and that don't look right". It was a constant statement under Mari-ball.

Saturday looked right. For a spring game under a new staff, QB, RB's and WR's, I would say it looked a little better than right.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3