Charles Fischer

Oregon Baseball Fans? Your Pitching Stud and BIG Hitter...

Yovan Named To ANOTHER Preseason All-America Team

OREGON ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | MONDAY, JANUARY 25, 2021 

Eugene, Ore. – D1Baseball named Oregon designated hitter/right-handed pitcher Kenyon Yovan a third-team preseason All-America pick on Monday. 

Last season, Yovan earned Collegiate Baseball first-team postseason honors as a designated hitter after leading Oregon in hitting (.429), hits (24), home runs (4), runs scored (22) and walks (15). He also topped the team in on-base percentage (.556) and slugging percentage (.714), while finishing with nine RBI, two doubles and a triple. Yovan finished the season with six multi-hit games including five 3-hit games. In the Pac-12 Conference, he finished in the top three in seven offensive categories while ranking in the top six in two more. Yovan was second in the league in slugging percentage and runs scored, third in batting average, OBP, hits, home runs (tied) and total bases and sixth in the conference in walks and hit by pitches.

The Beaverton, Ore., native is the only Oregon player ever named an All-American as both a hitter and a pitcher during his career. Yovan earned a spot on the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (first team) and the Collegiate Baseball (second team) All-America Teams following his freshman season in 2017 as a pitcher. The Ducks’ closer that season, he was also named to four different freshman All-America Teams, and was one of Collegiate Baseball’s Freshmen of the Year.

D1Baseball is the second organization to honor Yovan with preseason honors. Collegiate Baseball named him a first-team preseason All-American in December.

(Excess formatting--the italics and bolding I am guilty of...)

Are there any Oregon Baseball fans out there?  I would love to discuss a bit of baseball from time-to-time...

Mr. FishDuck

Huge baseball fan here. In fact it's my favorite sport. I played a couple years at Lane Community College before being cut by the Beavers after transferring up to Corvallis.

Ducks baseball has been really inconsistent over the past several years. They were looking good early on in their first few years but they have never been able to put together a solid offensive effort for a sustained period of time.

Their pitching has often been pretty decent though. Yovan offers a good dose of both. He is one of the best players the Ducks have put forward since their return to the diamond. 

Question is whether there are other pitchers who can lock down opposing teams. I was high on Peyton Fuller coming out of high school, maybe that is because he was my neighbor in Ashland, but he is a big kid with a pretty strong arm. I am hoping he steps up big time this coming season. 

I am always up for talking baseball. I look forward to more articles in the future.

CJ...below is what I wrote in another post a week ago that might provide some information about pitching...

It is interesting looking at the Oregon Baseball roster and seeing QB Robby's Ashford's name there!  He is a 6'3" 225 lb. outfielder from Hoover Alabama...

Oregon actually returns a pretty good baseball team for this next year with the most great players from the state of Oregon in years with the Ducks.

Robert Ahlstrom, North Eugene, (walking distance to my home) Pitcher
Kolby Somers, Hillsboro, Pitcher (did not allow a run in his COVID shortened time on the mound in 2019)
Nico Tellache, Canby, Pitcher, (A lefty for key moments)
Peyton Fuller, Ashland, Pitcher  (Dean's List, and was 1-0 with 2.84 ERA before season ended)

Gabe Matthews, Salem, Infielder, (On base percentage at .400 and Golden Glove winner!)
Aaron Zavala, Salem, Outfield, 3rd Base, (3rd Team All-American in 2019 batting .418!)
Kenyon Yovan, Beaverton, Relief Pitcher, Outfielder and 3rd Base  (Preseason 2021 All-American and picture below)

George Horton's best teams were filled with players recruited by current head coach Mark Wasikowski, who came from rebuilding Purdue.  (Assistant at Oregon prior to that)  He is a coach that I believe will make Oregon highly competitive again!

CJ...I think we return an excellent pitching staff along with the newbies for relief!266189212_KenyonYovan_UOAthletics.jpg.e235e3f140f5b4a711f72ccbf0e61c4c.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

2 hours ago, C J said:

Huge baseball fan here. In fact it's my favorite sport. I played a couple years at Lane Community College before being cut by the Beavers after transferring up to Corvallis.

Ducks baseball has been really inconsistent over the past several years. They were looking good early on in their first few years but they have never been able to put together a solid offensive effort for a sustained period of time.

Their pitching has often been pretty decent though. Yovan offers a good dose of both. He is one of the best players the Ducks have put forward since their return to the diamond. 

Question is whether there are other pitchers who can lock down opposing teams. I was high on Peyton Fuller coming out of high school, maybe that is because he was my neighbor in Ashland, but he is a big kid with a pretty strong arm. I am hoping he steps up big time this coming season. 

I am always up for talking baseball. I look forward to more articles in the future.

C.J. feel free to start a baseball topic or two in the forum. We'd love to here more baseball from you. 

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

C.J. feel free to start a baseball topic or two in the forum. We'd love to here more baseball from you. 

I would love to, but I am having a house built now and am hurting for available time as I am constantly dealing with it. Periodically I will try to contribute more and am really looking forward to baseball season.

Charles, your info on local Duck players is very encouraging. I would love to see an offensive explosion this season and it's looking like they will have the bats to do it.

6 hours ago, C J said:

I would love to see an offensive explosion this season and it's looking like they will have the bats to do it.

Encouraging, and the Ducks baseball program needs that. This year could be the big turnaround for that program and its about time they start shining and taking their rightful place among Oregons sports. 

giphy.gif